1079 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rita_Spanu
5 - Automation Enthusiast

We have created a form where once completed, it creates a timecard.  How can I add a restriction either on the form or anywhere in the system to restrict one user from creating a form/timecard under another users name?

4 Replies 4
AirBenderMarcus
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hey Rita! There's an option in forms that marks down who submitted the form in a field called CREATED BY. The only requirement is that they need Airtable accounts. Using this method, you wouldn't need them to enter their names at all.

AirBenderMarcus_0-1673652869382.png

Rita_Spanu

ok great! i've turned on that feature and now its working!

my next hurdle is, how can i limit someone from creating a timecard under someone elses name? as mentioned, we use forms to create a timecard, and our current set up has a drop down menu where the user selects their name from a drop down menu.  i can get of this field altogether, but there are several dependencies tied to it that i cant risk losing.  hiding the field from user view wont work either because the field is then left blank, which also affects the data coming from these dependencies.  any suggestions?

So after you enabled the toggle that captures the email of the submitter, this info gets stored in the Created By field. From here, you can create an automation that copies the Created By field to your Name/Collaborator field. Doing this will let you hide the dropdown field while ensuring it still gets filled in every time.

The trigger would be "When a Form is Submitted" and the action would be "Update record".

AirBenderMarcus_0-1673889244553.png

I don't know how familiar you are with automations in Airtable so if you need more explanation, I can walk you through that as well.