576 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ava_Abdoulah
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there! I’m new to Airtable and trying to find the most efficient way to group individual freelance talent by discipline (Editors, Animators, Directors, Etc.) in GRID view within my base design. I’m finding the “group” or “filter” features to be confusing and sensitive - I’m not able to clearly find a solve for this & greatly appreciate any help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @Ava_Abdoulah,

You’ve got your grouping options set up correctly, but you’re not doing your data entry correctly.

You’re trying to manually create your own groups, but that’s incorrect. Airtable will handle the grouping for you.

What you’re doing wrong is that you’re trying to use record rows as header data, but that’s incorrect because every row is always a record, under all circumstances. Rows are never headers. Rows are for record data only.

So, as it stands now, you have never attached a discipline to any of your of your records. In other words, none of your people have disciplines attached to them.

So, the very first and #1 most important thing that you’ll want to do is convert your “Discipline” field from a “text field” to a “single select” field. This is the most important first step for you. Airtable will automatically create a list of all your different disciplines for you to choose from, which will make make your life significantly easier moving forward. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then, after that, go through each record and attach a discipline to each record. In other words, go to each person and attach a discipline to each person.

And be sure to delete all those header rows that you created (where you only have a discipline name typed in).

Then, you’ll be able to group & filter moving forward.

If you have a budget for this project, and you’re looking to work with an expert Airtable developer to help you build your system, that’s what I do. Feel free to send me a private message if you’re interested! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. :slightly_smiling_face:

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

What are you finding confusing and sensitive about grouping and filtering?

The “group” option is what you want — just choose to group by your “discipline” field.

If that doesn’t help, please attach screenshots of your system.

Hey Scott, thank you for helping out. I’m finding the grouping feature a bit confusing at this time. I’m likely not structuring the grid the correct way to be adequately grouped, but like I said - new to this platform so trying to learn. Screenshots attached.

Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.20.13 PM Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 1.20.27 PM

Hi @Ava_Abdoulah,

You’ve got your grouping options set up correctly, but you’re not doing your data entry correctly.

You’re trying to manually create your own groups, but that’s incorrect. Airtable will handle the grouping for you.

What you’re doing wrong is that you’re trying to use record rows as header data, but that’s incorrect because every row is always a record, under all circumstances. Rows are never headers. Rows are for record data only.

So, as it stands now, you have never attached a discipline to any of your of your records. In other words, none of your people have disciplines attached to them.

So, the very first and #1 most important thing that you’ll want to do is convert your “Discipline” field from a “text field” to a “single select” field. This is the most important first step for you. Airtable will automatically create a list of all your different disciplines for you to choose from, which will make make your life significantly easier moving forward. :slightly_smiling_face:

Then, after that, go through each record and attach a discipline to each record. In other words, go to each person and attach a discipline to each person.

And be sure to delete all those header rows that you created (where you only have a discipline name typed in).

Then, you’ll be able to group & filter moving forward.

If you have a budget for this project, and you’re looking to work with an expert Airtable developer to help you build your system, that’s what I do. Feel free to send me a private message if you’re interested! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. :slightly_smiling_face:

Ava_Abdoulah
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

So helpful, thank you very much!