Help

Re: How to set permissions for specific rows based on the user mentioned in a column?

2364 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sergioloco
5 - Automation Enthusiast

The community's help is really needed. I need to figure out access to certain rows in the database.

Scenario: Each row of the table has a "USER" field. In it I select users who have access to the table (screenshot #1). I want to make it so that "USER" see only those rows in which they are selected and can edit these rows. All other rows where they are not selected in the "USER" column, they either cannot edit or cannot see (it’s better if they don’t see it, but it’s not critical). 

9 Replies 9

You can do this with an Interface by setting the filter to "Current User":

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 6.26.29 PM.png

But users can change the filter setting and see all other accounts. Am i right? 

sergioloco

Oh... Mb i should give permission only on the specific view with that filter setting by user? 

@sergioloco 

1. Your requested feature can be done at the interface layer, but not at the data layer (i.e. views).

2. You would set a filter for the interface page to only show the records for the current user.

3. Users cannot change that filter, as long as they are editors or below.

4. You would also need to remove the users’ base access, and only give them interface access.

5. Additionally, if you need more advanced user filtering or if you need filtering for customers (i.e. non-Airtable users), you can get that from external Airtable interfaces like Noloco’s advanced interfaces & portals for Airtable orJetAdmin’s portals & interfaces for Airtable.

p.s. If your company has a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld 

Wow. Tnx. Will try. 

Could you please clarify one more. Where i can  remove the users’ base access, and give them interface access. 

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This is all done from the different “Share” menus that appear throughout Airtable.

From the base’s data layer, go to “Share” then “Manage Access” to remove their base access first.

Then, from the interface, go to “Share” and add them there. 

The filter setting is set for that element in the Interface, so if the user's viewing the Interface they can't change that filter setting.  If they've got permission to modify the setup of the Interface then they'd be able to modify the Interface and change that filter though

I think you'll find the documentation on Interface sharing and permissions pretty helpful!  https://support.airtable.com/docs/managing-and-sharing-interfaces

sergioloco

I found only one solution, but it works only with the Business and Enterprise plans. Still searching for a solution.

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

There are many different solutions, as I outlined above, and none of them require a business or enterprise plan.

They all work on even the free plan, and all of this can be handled natively within Airtable.

However, there are also many external portal apps on the market (in addition to the ones I outlined above).

A few of the leading customer portals are Noloco, JetAdminSoftr,  Pory, and Glide.

JetAdmin is probably the quickest portal to setup (although their customer support is weak), while Noloco is the most powerful & customizable portal with great customer support.

The CEO of Noloco gave a demonstration of his product on this Airtable podcast episode. https://youtu.be/yyJSHijFD7g?si=7CJzR935EJps9Vl6

And I gave a brief tutorial of Noloco on this Airtable podcast episode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jwb0CFJ2qY&list=PLqssva4liHRwHhQIpTXekG8WObEoyC2F1

I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld