Help

Re: I want to hide the primary field in a gallery but don't see a way to do this?

1450 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Charles_Osterta
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I would like to hide the primary field in a gallery because I want to use a long field for the title. I understand primary keys and keeping the title short. No problem. But, I don’t want to publish the primary key but a long field. I attached an example pic of what I am talking about but not sure anyone can see it, since all I see is a link.

test4

7 Replies 7
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, the very sad news is that it is not possible to hide the primary field in a gallery, nor is it possible to use a different field as the header of the gallery card.

This is a problem throughout Airtable — not just with galleries, but with calendar entries, linked record fields, and other areas as well.

I would recommend emailing it as a feature request to support@airtable.com, and hopefully our dreams will come true someday! 🙂

2024 UPDATE:

Sadly, this still hasn't been solved in Airtable yet.

But, in the meantime, if you want to spend extra money to solve the problem, you CAN hide the primary field with Noloco's advanced interfaces for Airtable.

Noloco is the most advanced interface builder & customer portal for Airtable, and I love using Noloco with my Airtable consulting clients.

I give a brief demo of Noloco on this Airtable podcast episode.

I gave an entire one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

And the CEO of Noloco gave a demonstration of his product on this Airtable podcast episode.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

I kind of figured that as I am ramping up. I sure would like to hide lables such as Date. I don’t need a definition and it just handy to have the option to hide a field header. I do like the product the more I find out.

Thanks for responding

You can hide other fields on the gallery card, just not the primary field.

Kerry_Kriger
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Airtable should allow users to hide the primary field. There is no valid reason to prevent this.

Pierre-Louis_Fi
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I've found a workaround to hide the content of Primary Filed in read-only view for my external clients.
The trick is to create a new base, and sync the table you want to share.
On the synced table in the new base, you'll get the same Primary Field. 
BUT, for some reason, you can change the TYPE of this field. 
By choosing "Date", for example, since me primary field is not a date, the Primary Field will now be EMPTY. 
I just found this trick that now allows me to use shareable view & Interfaces in order to share records to my external clients without sharing the Primary Field (that contains unwanted information for my client)

Hope it could be some people around here!
Pierre-Louis

Has this ever been resolved? It seems completely ridiculous that you can't do this. Even in the new "interfaces" you cannot do this. We had to use ID keys as the primary key to reduce problems linking tables but now that messes up any connected kanban or gallery view in the interface. Seems like such a basic feature. You can hide the field in a list but not in a gallery view?

Unfortunately, there are only very few areas in Airtable where you are allowed to hide the Primary Field.

However, if you want to spend extra money to solve the problem, you CAN hide the primary field with Noloco's advanced interfaces for Airtable.

Noloco is the most advanced interface builder & customer portal for Airtable, and I love using Noloco with my Airtable consulting clients.

I give a brief demo of Noloco on this Airtable podcast episode.

I gave an entire one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

And the CEO of Noloco gave a demonstration of his product on this Airtable podcast episode.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld