Help

Is there a way to create complex multiselect field?

Solved
Jump to Solution
296 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjcristy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I wanted my user records to have a field determining skills and proficiency for each skills

Say for example

Full Name | Language Proficiencies

Elsa | English - Beginner, Dutch - Mid-Level, Japanese - Fluent

How do I achieve that?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
low-code-Rachel
5 - Automation Enthusiast

There's a few options depending on what you're trying to accomplish. It ultimately comes down to what info you want to use to filter or automate.

One Long text field: You could keep the text "Beginner, Dutch - Mid-Level, Japanese - Fluent" in a long text field. You could then create filtered views that reduce the Language field down to text that contains "Dutch" or "Japanese - Fluent" etc. based on your interests.

One Multi-Select field: You could use one multi-select field with 3-4 variations of each language. Your options would include:

• English - Beginner

• English - Mid-Level

• English - Advanced

• English - Fluent

• Dutch - Beginner

• Dutch - Mid-Level

• Dutch - Advanced

• Dutch - Fluent

• ... etc.

Multi Select field w/ details in long text field: You could have one multi select field that stores the language (Options: English, Dutch, Japanese, etc.) then keep details in an additional long text field (contents: "Beginner, Dutch - Mid-Level, Japanese - Fluent")

I don't recommend creating many different fields for different languages, because it becomes hard to organize/filter at that point.

If you want to talk anything through, you can schedule time w/ me here.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
low-code-Rachel

There's a few options depending on what you're trying to accomplish. It ultimately comes down to what info you want to use to filter or automate.

One Long text field: You could keep the text "Beginner, Dutch - Mid-Level, Japanese - Fluent" in a long text field. You could then create filtered views that reduce the Language field down to text that contains "Dutch" or "Japanese - Fluent" etc. based on your interests.

One Multi-Select field: You could use one multi-select field with 3-4 variations of each language. Your options would include:

• English - Beginner

• English - Mid-Level

• English - Advanced

• English - Fluent

• Dutch - Beginner

• Dutch - Mid-Level

• Dutch - Advanced

• Dutch - Fluent

• ... etc.

Multi Select field w/ details in long text field: You could have one multi select field that stores the language (Options: English, Dutch, Japanese, etc.) then keep details in an additional long text field (contents: "Beginner, Dutch - Mid-Level, Japanese - Fluent")

I don't recommend creating many different fields for different languages, because it becomes hard to organize/filter at that point.

If you want to talk anything through, you can schedule time w/ me here.

rjcristy
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just in any case someone encounters similar issue, I solved this using One Multi-Select field from @low-code-Rachel, with some application of scripting and schduled automation

So there are two tables: Language and Language Proficiency. Every interval time, the automation checks from Proficiency if there are records that doesn't exist that exists inside Language table, something like 

if(!(profiencyRecords.indexOf((stackRecord + " - Junior") ) > -1))

If it doesn't exist, records will be added.