Help

Re: Is there a way to programmatically move a table from one base to another?

799 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olivia_Ehrenrei
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a table that gets a lot of log data – about 8,000 records per month. Since a table can only hold 50,000 records and a base can only hold 100,000 records, I’d like to move the table to another base (on a given date or after a specified amount of time or when it reaches near capacity).

Is there a way to do this programmatically? Also, is there a way to create a base or table programmatically?

5 Replies 5

There is no easy way to do this programmatically.

You could use a synced table that retains the records after the originals are deleted. But when that table fills up, you need to manually sync to a different base.

You could use the REST API to copy data to a different target base, but you you still need a way to determine which target base to use as the target base fills up.

Is there a way to programmatically create a base or a table?

Scripting app and custom apps can create a table in their own bases. However, both require a user interaction to run. They cannot create a table in a different base.

There is currently no way to programmatically create a base.

Olivia_Ehrenrei

Thanks so much! Are there any tutorials or docs that you could point me towards on 1.) using the API to copy data to a base and 2.) using the scripting app to create tables?

Hey @Olivia_Ehrenreich_Ma

You could use our On2Air Actions app to copy the records into another table via an Upsert or our Create multiple records options.

2022-01-24_13h09_27

We also have a bulk Delete records action, so once the data is duplicated, it’s deleted from the original table.

2022-01-24_13h03_20

You can run it from an Airtable automation or Zapier.

We don’t currently have anything to create new tables, so you would just need to direct to a new table a couple of times a year.