180 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tom_Glatt
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a tasks table with a self-linking field that I use to define task predecessors. Is there a way when adding a predecessor to filter the options to show only those that relate to the relevant project/grouping?

The problem I am trying to solve is that there may be many tasks with the same name so sorting through them to find the correct one takes time. For example, in my task table I may have the following:

1. Project 1:
    1. Task 1
    2. Task 2
  2. Project 2:
    1. Task 1
    2. Task 2

When selecting a predecessor for task 2 I have to wade through and find which Task 1 is the correct one for the project. 

May be helpful to know: my tasks table has another linked record field that links to a projects table, therefore each task is tied to a project.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kyrstin_Graves
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is absolutely possible with the predecessor field! You'd just want to adjust it to a dynamic filter on the predecessor field and pick the linked project field so it will only show tasks that are linked to that project. I've added a screenshot of how I set it up in my own base.

Kyrstin_Graves_0-1715269364219.png

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
Kyrstin_Graves
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This is absolutely possible with the predecessor field! You'd just want to adjust it to a dynamic filter on the predecessor field and pick the linked project field so it will only show tasks that are linked to that project. I've added a screenshot of how I set it up in my own base.

Kyrstin_Graves_0-1715269364219.png

Ah! So THAT is what that little cog wheel is for on the linked record filter settings. Thanks so much for the help. You're awesome. 

Happy to help 🙂