Help

Re: Linked record in a form - how to prefill/allow create new?

Solved
Jump to Solution
905 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert_Andrews
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I have a base with a field "Company" that is a linked record.

Ultimately, I want to pre-fill my form with all values inc Company.

First, how can one pre-fill a Linked record field? Seems like it isn't possible.

Second, even if it is possible, how can I allow the creation of a new such Linked record from the form?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, you can prefill a linked record field. The Prefilled Forms extension which @kuovonne created can help you with that.

However, Airtable does not offer any built-in ability to add new records into a linked table from a form. You have a bunch of different workarounds for handling this:

- One workaround involves adding extra fields to your form, and then running an automation after the form is submitted that adds the new record into the other table.

- A much easier method would be to give people a link on your form to click on which would take them to ANOTHER FORM to submit new entries into the other table.

- Or, you can use the free version of Fillout, which natively offers that feature built into their forms.

- You could even turn to other external form software like JotForm, and then use Make to parse out all the data into the right tables for you.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, you can prefill a linked record field. The Prefilled Forms extension which @kuovonne created can help you with that.

However, Airtable does not offer any built-in ability to add new records into a linked table from a form. You have a bunch of different workarounds for handling this:

- One workaround involves adding extra fields to your form, and then running an automation after the form is submitted that adds the new record into the other table.

- A much easier method would be to give people a link on your form to click on which would take them to ANOTHER FORM to submit new entries into the other table.

- Or, you can use the free version of Fillout, which natively offers that feature built into their forms.

- You could even turn to other external form software like JotForm, and then use Make to parse out all the data into the right tables for you.

Oooh, great answer - thanks.