cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bliss_Ellis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey
I am trying to create a base to track our 3 week class program. I wanted to do a table for each Week to mark who registered and then have a date that they completed that class. Then I was hoping to have a 4th Table of only the ones that completed all 3 weeks. I can’t seem to get the linked records to work the way I need them to. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

1 Reply 1
Carly_Taylor
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Great question!

What you want to accomplish can almost certainly be done by using filtered views rather than multiple tables, which would end up making it much harder to manage and review your data.

In general, we recommend keeping the same type of information consolidated within one single table. Airtable is a relational database, and its tables should be thought of differently than tabs on a spreadsheet. Records shouldn’t be categorized across tables or moved between them to indicate progression in status or reassignment. Whenever you have more than one table with the same field configuration, it’s a sign that you may want to rethink how you’re structuring your base.

Generally speaking, different tables should only be used to distinguish distinct types of records (e.g. products from clients from events ) - not to categorize things of the same species, like projects for different weeks, work orders for different companies, or content pieces for different channels. You will quickly hit limitations if records are split up across tables without warranting such independence.

To optimize your Airtable experience, we highly recommend categorizing records of the same species by using field values and filtered views, rather than filing them into separate tables and/or duplicating them to other tables to indicate a status change.

For your situation you will want one table for your 3 week program registrants and you can create a field that indicates which week each person is signed up for. You can create a different view for each week. You can also have another field with the status (in progress, complete) and you can create a view to see the completed records. An example of when you might need another table is if you want to create a Programs table where you have detailed information about the program.

For additional guidance on reworking your current setup, this article may be helpful.

I hope this advice is useful!