662 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Melanie_Churchi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Newbie here, but want to learn so much more. I have a base created but want to learn more about some of the related information being in another tables. I need visuals, rather than reading descriptions. Any chance someone would be willing to meet with me via zoom and help me? I think I’m probably making this harder than it really is.

3 Replies 3

Welcome to the community, @Melanie_Churchill!

You would probably benefit from watching my free Airtable training course which covers linking records:

Scott, you were right. I have gone through your course today and it has helped tremendously. Thank you so much for recommending it. I wish I had watched it before creating my first base.

If you wouldn’t mind, I still have one question. My base is larger than I’d like and after watching your class, I’ve learned I can handle that by creating different views, and hiding certain fields in each view.

I’m still curious, though, if I could make a new table from a field to break down the information into process levels. My base is designed to track individuals through the process of becoming ordained clergy in the United Methodist Church. I included the entire process (which some people take up to 12 years to complete) into one table and now I wish it had a table for those who are really just exploring a call to ministry, another for those who are preparing to meet with our credentialing committee, and lastly another for those who have met with the committee and now are truly a “certified candidate” for ministry. At that point, I begin tracking them through their education process.

I hope I explained that clearly enough for you to be able to give me an answer.

Thanks again for responding to my question on the community forum board.

Hi @Melanie_Churchill,

Hmmm… I’m not sure I know enough about those different process levels to say whether you should combine everyone into a single table or break them up into separate tables.

If some people will be highly active records in your database that you view & edit all the time — while other people are relatively inactive for years — it might make sense to split people up into separate tables.

On the other hand, if people are going to be jumping from table to table regularly, it might be easier to keep everyone in one unified table, and just filter them by using a single-select field that describes their current process level.

If you have a budget for your project and you feel like you would benefit from working one-on-one with me as your Airtable consultant, we can do interactive Zoom sessions with each other and work on building your system together. If you’re interested, please feel free to contact me through my website and we can setup an initial call to chat in more detail about this: