cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KateR
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there

I'm trying to set up a base to record relationships between several data sets, specifically:

• Segment (eg academia, corporate)
  • Sub-segments (eg lecturers, library, researchers)
  • Use cases (eg data management, author screening)
  • Use case groups (eg planning research, managing research)
  • Products (eg Pear Software, Banana Software)

I'm not sure how best to set up the base to show their interconnected relationships. For instance the sub-segment of Lecturers, which is part of the Academia segment, uses Pear Software and Banana Software when they have use case of Author Screening, which is part of the use case group Planning Research. Another sub-segment might use Pear Software and Banana Software for different use cases, or they might have the same use case but Peach Software and Grape Software are better for them. Each segment and sub-segment will only have certain use cases and products that apply to them from the overall list.

Once I've set up the base, the next step is to get someone to fill out the data to record how they are interlinked, so I want to make that step as easy for them as possible.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks a million 🙏

Kate

2 Replies 2

Hmm feels like you'll need one more table where each record represents a single instance, e.g. sub-segment Lecturer, use case Author Screening where you'd link the Products?

Melody242
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello,

@KateR wrote:

Hi there

I'm trying to set up a base to record relationships between several data sets, specifically:

• Segment (eg academia, corporate)
  • Sub-segments (eg lecturers, library, researchers)
  • Use cases (eg data management, author screening)
  • Use case groups (eg planning research, managing research)
  • Products (eg Pear Software, Banana Software)

I'm not sure how best to set up the base to show their interconnected relationships. For instance the sub-segment of Lecturers, which is part of the Academia segment, uses Pear Software and Banana Software when they have use case of Author Screening, which is part of the use case group Planning Research. Another sub-segment might use Pear Software and Banana Software for different use cases, or they might have the same use case but Peach Software and Grape Software are better for them. Each segment and sub-segment will only have certain use cases and products that apply to them from the overall list.

Once I've set up the base, the next step is to get someone to fill out the data to record how they are interlinked, so I want to make that step as easy for them as possible.

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks a million 🙏

Kate

To create a Notion base for recording relationships between data sets, create databases for Segments, Sub-Segments, Use Cases, Use Case Groups, and Products. Link the databases using relation properties to establish connections between segments, sub-segments, use cases, and products. Use templates, dropdown menus, and clear labeling to make data entry easier. Consider using visualizations to visualize relationships.