1867 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Travis_Groom1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi everyone - maybe this is simple and I am just not getting it, but I could use a little advice.

Table 1 - has name/email address/other data related to user engagement in a learning platform
Table 2 - Workday pull that shows their business unit, ID, location, etc

What I am looking to do is take data from Table 2 and link it to a user in Table 1 so it shows their engagement with the platform as well as their business unit information so I can then filter and look at which business unit is the most engaged.

Both tables have an email field, so I figured that would be the easiest to match, but for the life of me I cannot get it to match up. Can AirTable auto-match across sheets and load up the data, or do I have to pull the record manually by doing a Link on the email field, typing in each persons email address, and a lookup on the other fields?

Thanks in advance for any help.

4 Replies 4

Airtable has no automatic matching. You have to manually match.

However, Airtable will do a one-time-only automatic matching if you convert an existing field to a kinked record field… but the values in that field have to match THE PRIMARY FIELD in the other table.

(Unlike all other database systems, Airtable doesn’t let you choose which field you’re matching to. You’re always matching to the primary field, because you’re matching to the entire record… not a field value in that record.)

I think Scott means a linked record field. :winking_face:

On a different note, you could probably use a script in the Scripting block to make the matches between tables. If you’d like some help with that, just let us know.

LOL!! :rofl: :joy: Yes, Airtable removed the kinked record field a while ago.

Travis_Groom1

Kinked records sounds way more fun. I think once I gave up the idea of auto-matching, everything seemed to work fine. Just a bit of manual work for me every time I want to update it.

Thanks for the help folks!