Help

Re: Lookup Fields - search non-primary field?

Solved
Jump to Solution
188 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdamHassig
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello, I am trying to use a lookup field from another sheet.  It seems that I can only search by the primary field, not by the field I have selected as the source.  For example:

Sheet 1 - Primary field: Job #
Job #: 1234
Job Name: 

Sheet 2
Lookup field in sheet 1 - Job Name: (I can search for Job # (1234), but not by job name. 

Is there a way to fix this or work around?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

There's only a workaround I'm afraid, and it's to make the primary field a formula field that combines the info that you want to search by.  In your context, it would be something like

{Job #} & " - " & {Job Name}

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

There's only a workaround I'm afraid, and it's to make the primary field a formula field that combines the info that you want to search by.  In your context, it would be something like

{Job #} & " - " & {Job Name}

In addition to what Adam mentioned above, the only other workaround to this major problem is to use Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable.

Fillout lets you update existing Airtable records from a form, and you can search by ANY field that you want.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld