cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dukes2806
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi

Is it possible to have multiple tables that have identical information (with different filtering preferences) that sync when you update the data in any table within the sheet?
I know you can do this by views, however, I want to know if there is an option to do that via tables

e.g. 
I want the tables to contain 

1. "all initiatives"
2. "new request"
3. "backlog"
4. "awaiting decision"
5. "prioritised"
6. "complete"

From there I want to filter views depended on teams

1 Reply 1
Vic_Airtable
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there! 

What you want to accomplish can almost certainly be done by using filtered views rather than multiple tables, which would end up making it much harder to manage and review your data. In general, we recommend keeping the same type of information consolidated within one single table.  Airtable is a relational database, and its tables should be thought of differently than tabs on a spreadsheet. Records shouldn't be categorized across tables or moved between them to indicate progression in status or reassignment. Whenever you have more than one table with the same field configuration, it's a sign that you may want to rethink how you're structuring your base.

Generally speaking, different tables should only be used to distinguish distinct types of records (e.g. products from clients from events) - not to categorize things of the same species, like projects for different months, work orders for different companies, or content pieces for different channels. You will quickly hit limitations if records are split up across tables without warranting such independence. To optimize your Airtable experience, we highly recommend categorizing records of the same species by using field values and filtered views, rather than filing them into separate tables and/or duplicating them to other tables to indicate a status change. 

For guidance on reworking your current setup, this article may be helpful.

Technically, you could probably set up automations to update the records across tables, but this could get very messy very quickly if updates are allowed to be made from any table. 

I hope this advice is useful!