Help

Re: Pointers on how to set up a base tracking employees on a month to month basis

422 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukeinglis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a base that has all of our employees (~200) in a people tab. Every month our finance department sends me an updated Excel with everyone that months actuals in terms of employees. Given the number I would like to be able to CSV import this file and then be able to update the people, as well identify who is no longer on the list - and who is new to the list. 

Additionally, it would be helpful to be able to use this information in the extensions/interfaces to show charts on the over month-to-month headcount change.

I think I will need to have some record indicator for each person that the records can align to but every idea I have had so far seems overly complicated. 

2 Replies 2
low-code-Rachel
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

It's a tough problem to manage a changing list of employees in Airtable. Do you want to delete/add employees from the Employee table with each update?

As far as creating an interface, here's what I think I would do.

1. Create a new table called "Finance Reports" by uploading a recent Excel file.
  2. Each new month, upload your new finance report to the same table. It will create a long table with about 200 records every month.
  3. Add a Date Column to "Finance Reports" that contains the last day of the month the report represents (or other relevant date)
  4. When creating an interface, you can create a line graph count of records grouped by month. This should visually display the change in Employee count over time.

You can schedule time with me using this link. 

lukeinglis
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I think one solution that I have been trying to avoid is having a new tab for each month. Then the name record would be linked with the people tab. This seems like it would end up messy, visually at a minimum - unless someone knows a way to hide tabs.