266 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott_Brasted
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I have a question about how to handle member data in a specific set of circumstances.

I have a membership base. One table has the members' names and organizations they belong to, if any, in it. People join this organization. Sometimes they join as single people and sometimes they join as a couple. So far I have able to easily handle the single/couple issue, except for when one of them becomes a board member/officer. Now I have to find a way bifurcate them. Do I put them in individually? If so, how do I handle when they join or renew as a couple? Or even better, leave a legacy? Hmmm. Is a puzzlement. And how do I handle when one of them dies?

Any thought or help will be truly appreciated.

Best, Scott

3 Replies 3
Scott_Brasted
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Here is a screenshot of the members table with dummy data.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 4.05.31 PM.png

There are a few ways to go about this. Here are two ways to consider:

You could create single-select member types (primary, spouse/partner) and link those records within the same table to each other to form relationships.

You could create two tables, one for primary and one for spouse/partner, and link those records to each other or to a junction table.

Hi and thanks for the response.

How do you link records within the same table to form relationships? I was thinking that I could enter each person individually then connect them somehow. But I had no ideas if or how to do that. if, as you say, I can link them that would be great.

Bst, Scott