Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Shared database with private and customizable views

Topic Labels: Base design Views
Solved
Jump to Solution
297 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Allison_BM
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am trying to build a shared database for ~30 research sites. There is a set of shared variables that all sites will track but sites also want the ability to track additional site-specific data points. Each site should get to see and edit ONLY their own records (i.e. they should not be able to see or edit any the individual records of any other sites). Each site should have access to an interface dashboard that shares summary data for the shared variables across all sites. 

I've tried a few different approaches, but haven't found the solution yet. 

1. I tried creating different views within the same table for each site, but I don't think that will work because I can't seem to restrict access to a view to only one site.
  2. I tried creating different tables within the same base for each site, but I don't think that will work because then I can't create a dashboard that aggregates across all sites.
  3. I think syncing may be an option, but we have the Team plan which restricts a base to 10 syncs. 

Any tips would be very much appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hiya! I think interfaces are the way to go here!

If you want the "Grid" view that we have on the data side to appear on the Interface, just select any other visualisation first, ie List or Gallery. On the right panel, you can now add the grid as a visualization and remove the originally selected.

I'll also assume that each site is an individual collaborator. You can assign collaborators to specific records using the field type called "User". Then, in your Interface, you can set it to only display records assigned to the specific user.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, please let me know 🙂

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2

Hiya! I think interfaces are the way to go here!

If you want the "Grid" view that we have on the data side to appear on the Interface, just select any other visualisation first, ie List or Gallery. On the right panel, you can now add the grid as a visualization and remove the originally selected.

I'll also assume that each site is an individual collaborator. You can assign collaborators to specific records using the field type called "User". Then, in your Interface, you can set it to only display records assigned to the specific user.

I'm not sure if this answers your question, please let me know 🙂

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/

Thank you! I think this will work. My ideal version would allow each site to add and modify their own site-specific fields themselves (that only show in their site-specific interface) but NOT be able to modify the set of fields that are shared across all sites. They should be able to add records for the shared fields but not modify the field itself (e.g., change the field type, etc.). Do you happen to know if that is possible using interfaces?