Help

Re: Showing an overview of a record along with linked records from a linked table

339 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Cioci
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am brand new to AirTable. I’m trying to use it to replace an MS access CRM. The CRM is really simply, built of two tables, customers with a unique customer ID, and interactions which is linked back to customers by a customer ID.

In MS Access, I have a form which has a dropdown/type field for me to start entering the customer’s last name, then choose from available first names, and it brings up their customer ID, and relvant details from the customer table, It also then populates a small table with all of the notes and dates from previous interactions.

Ihave the tables loaded and linked, but I can’t seem to recreate the customer details + interactions view. If I click on the customer ID within the customer table, I can see a list of the calls, but I can’t find out how to tell it to just show the dates and notes from that table for that customer.

Thoughts?

1 Reply 1
Aron
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Richard,

I’m not familiar with MS Access but reading your description, there seem to be some differences that I could highlight to make your usecase work better:

• In Airtable when you’re trying to link between tables using a linked record, we only look at the primary field to search in the linked record. For instance, if you’re linking contacts to conversations, and trying to find the right contact and your primary field in the contact table is the ID, the user will need to enter the ID. However, if you expect folks to type the email (or last name, or ID), you can concatenate those fields in your primary field making contacts more easily searchable.

• Once you’ve linked a contact to a conversation a contact you’ll be able to lookup information from one table to another and roll ups to fetch the last conversation for instance (or the number of calls)

I’d recommend joining a 201 session – see our webinars at airtable.com/webinars !

Best
Aron

Want to learn Airtable? Join me for a webinar at airtable.com/webinar