cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Simone
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello all,

I’m a new user. I’d like to know if it is possibile to build a “simple” grid to make it easy for technicians to log their planned hours (numbers in blue) for each task.

I made some tests but wasn’t able to create something like this… can you give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

EXAMPLE

3 Replies 3

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Track hours is a very common use case for Airtable.

I suggest that you have a slightly different approach to your base design.

1. Create a [Tasks] table with the basic information for each tasks (such as the owner and weeks).

2. Create a [Timesheet] table for tracking time. This table would have columns for the task (a link to a record in the other table), the week, and the hours worked.

3. Then use the Pivot Table block (available with a Pro subscription) and some formula fields to generate the grid you want.

One advantage of this system is that you don’t have to give technicians access to the entire base for them to enter their hours. They can enter their information using a web form

If you would like more help building this base, there are several Airtable consultants (myself included) that can help build a base for you.

If this answer gives you enough information to solve your problem, could you please mark this post as the solution?
If not, please give a bit more details on your situation.

Simone
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for the quick & complete answer! :slightly_smiling_face:

Any possibility to not use a Premium feature as first solution?

As far as the data entry process, I was looking for something easy like an Excel grid, as planning is a dynamic process that needs to be quick and easy.

In the setup I described, users could enter data in the grid view or a with a form.

Airtable can also be used for project planning.

If you like Airtable for other features, but don’t want to pay for the pro subscription for the Pivot table block, you can manually copy and paste the data into Excel and generate the pivot table in Excel. But this only makes sense if you really like Airtable’s database features. Otherwise, you might as well stick with Excel.