cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Newton
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello AT community,

I am seeking advice, general or specific, on achieving frictionless label printing for employees using our base.

Our current setup is fully functional, but the process is clunky for users. We have Dymo LabelWriter 4XL's set up at various stations, and we have labels designed in Page Designer. Our receiving station, for example, has a Receiving Interface, and labels need to be created for everything we receive.

To print a label, the user has to click a button in the grid element of the interface for the line just received, which redirects them to the record in the underlying base (already a bad situation), then click a button that takes them to page designer, then click 'print' 3 or 4 times to get a label to come out.

My background is in warehouse distribution, where our purpose-built warehouse management software would simply print a label as soon as something is received, that is the level of functionality we want to mimic, or come close to.

So we are looking at 3rd party services like Miniextensions that can handle this, but haven't found anything. I contacted Dymo customer service for advice, and only got a vague reference to Dymo Web Service. If that is a viable route for us, we will explore it, but it may be overkill and would take a considerable amount of research. If anyone has any experience solving this problem in Airtable, I could really use some pointers.

Cheers all!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hmm, I googled Dymo Web Service and from my (very basic) understanding, it seems like you could potentially send data to a web page and have it print automatically from your label printer.  If you use this together with automations and the "Run a Script" action, you could probably do something like "When record is created print label"

If you know any developers that know JavaScript they should be able to handle it

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hmm, I googled Dymo Web Service and from my (very basic) understanding, it seems like you could potentially send data to a web page and have it print automatically from your label printer.  If you use this together with automations and the "Run a Script" action, you could probably do something like "When record is created print label"

If you know any developers that know JavaScript they should be able to handle it