cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elizabeth_Crisf
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello!

I need to create a data entry form that will limit dropdown menu choices based on the selection made in another field. I am looking at the possibility of establishing nested lists to define the hierarchy of options, but so far I'm not succeeding in creating an interactive drop down menu.

Is nested lists the right approach? If not, is there another way to do this?

Here's the example. Imagine I have a table that has 30 birds and 20 fish in the records.

In question 1 I want the user to be able to select "bird" or "fish", and then in Question 2 I only want the 30 birds or 20 fish to show in the species selection box, depending on what was chosen for Question 1. (In reality, I have an intermediate grouping level, and many more species than 30 or 20.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, Airtable doesn't offer that ability, even though that has been one of the top requests from users over the last 8 years!

You would be required to turn to an external app to solve this problem for you.

I only know of 2 apps that can do this, but there might be more out there: Fillout and Noloco

Fillout is an advanced form replacement for Airtable, whereas Noloco is a full-blown front-end replacement for Airtable (that can act as both a portal and an interface).

I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast. I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting - ScottWorld

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Unfortunately, Airtable doesn't offer that ability, even though that has been one of the top requests from users over the last 8 years!

You would be required to turn to an external app to solve this problem for you.

I only know of 2 apps that can do this, but there might be more out there: Fillout and Noloco

Fillout is an advanced form replacement for Airtable, whereas Noloco is a full-blown front-end replacement for Airtable (that can act as both a portal and an interface).

I give a brief tutorial of Noloco on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast. I also presented a full one-hour webinar on Noloco called Building a Client Portal on Noloco powered by Airtable.

p.s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting - ScottWorld

Wow. Thank you so much. I should have posted this question before I spent hours trying to find a way to solve my problem. I will definitely keep you in mind if we move ahead with an airtable database instead of a full sql implementation.