3303 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kare_Eide
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, I have assigned different tasks to employees. Each task has a start and end data and workload. The real workload will of course then vary by time. I can always calculate the total workload for all tasks. But that is theorectical since not all tasks are ongoing simultaneously., Is there some way of showing me the real floating workload profile? Like for example the timeline with the actual varying workload. “This is the workload profile based on the allocated tasks”. The basic need is to get the workload profile for planning purpose.

6 Replies 6
Williams_Innova
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @Kare_Eide,

Welcome to the community!

Are you looking to have the workload profile by employee? I’m envisioning that you have employees in one table and tasks in another, then you link tasks to each employee. Once linked, you could get a profile for each employee. or a total profile, grouped by employee.

Thanks,
Chris

Hi, Chris Thanks for helping out. Yes I have two tables respectively, but still I don’t catch how you get a profile that varies by time/dates?

hi Kare,
You could add a status to each task so that you know whether it is ongoing, completed, cancelled, etc. Then you can create a linked field in the tasks table which links to the employee table. This will allow you to create rollup fields for each status in the employee table which sum together for each employee only tasks that are flagged with that particular status. This will give you an overview of the workload for each employee for ongoing, completed and cancelled tasks.
Hope this helps!

Alessio
Email: alessio.monino@gmail.com

Hi, Alesso

Thanks for support. Following your example above will make a calculation of total workload for ALL tasks with TODO status but unfortenately are not going to be done at the same time. To get the real picture we in addition to status also have to take into consideration the time dimension i.e whick tasks that are planed to be done in parallel. For example Susanna has three tasks with status TODO each having workload of 10. The calculation of workload based on STATUS will give a total workload of 30. However the issues are planned to be done one by one in June, July and August respectively so the REAL workload at any point is 10. To summarize I would like to see the workload for all task based on both STATUS and TIME; “What is total workload for Susanna January 5th based on STATUS and filtered by tasks that are planned to be ongoing at that particular date”

Hi Kare,
got it. A possibility would be just grouping the tasks’ grid view by Employee and then by Date (filtering it by TODO status). This would give you an overview of the workload per day of each employee. However this depends on the number of tasks that each employee has (if Susan has 20 tasks per day this view can soon be cluttered by unnecessary information).
An alternative option would be to have another “summary” table that contains a link to the employee and a date. Whenever a new task is created, an automation can create a record in this summary table or find an existing record (if another task was created for the same employee on the same day). This record can then be linked to the task. This will then give you the possibility to do rollups in the summary table based on employee and date and have a workload value for each employee for each date.
It is a slightly complex automation that you would probably want to create through an Airtable script to keep it flexible (even though you could accomplish it also with Integromat/Zapier with some conditional logic steps if you prefer/are more familiar with that option).
When creating such system be also careful about the number of records, as depending on the number of employees and daily tasks you could easily reach Airtable’s limits. You should then have a backup/archive plan in mind with an additional base or external cloud database software to store the records down the line (you might also not care about old records and be happy to just delete them).
Hope my suggestions help!

Alessio
Email: alessio.monino@gmail.com

Thank for advices, Alesso!