1353 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rita_Spanu
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

How do I connect Zapier now that API keys are no longer offered? I used the third party integration route listed on the help page but Zapier isn’t one of the programs listed.  I set up a personal token but after doing so it advises not to share with third party apps.  Last route is OAuthentication which, quite frankly, is much too complicated for someone who isn’t a develop and doesn’t have access to an Airtable consultant.  Why is this being made more difficult for the average user? Changes like this make me want to pull our entire account.

4 Replies 4
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

You can't use personal access tokens with Zapier until they support it. If I were in your shoes, I would take this as an opportunity to switch from Zapier to Make. Make is infinitely more powerful & infinitely more customizable than Zapier, and it is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Zapier as well. Also, Make already supports personal access tokens and oAuth.

There is a bit of a learning curve with Make, which is why I offer some basic Make tips here, along with a link to the free Make training course.

> How do I connect Zapier now that API keys are no longer offered?

Hm, what problems are you facing with getting an API key?  I was able to get one by clicking the "Use API Key" button

Screenshot 2023-04-24 at 4.35.09 PM.png

i do have it, but if its going to be removed in January 2024 whats the point of setting it up with an API? and this OAuth and Personal Tokens seem to be really complicated compared to the easiness of using the API Key

> i do have it, but if its going to be removed in January 2024 whats the point of setting it up with an API?

At this point it's the only option if you'd like to use any service that hasn't implemented OAuth functionality that works with Airtable I'm afraid

> and this OAuth and Personal Tokens seem to be really complicated compared to the easiness of using the API Key

Personal Tokens will mostly be used by developers so you shouldn't need to deal with that in future generally

When OAuth is set up with the third party app, you will interact with it purely by seeing a "This app wants these permissions: Yes / No" system, basically the same system we have when we try to sign up for apps using our Gmail accounts.  Personally I find that to be more appealing than using API keys, but it's all very subjective though