9074 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VictoriaPlummer
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Okay so I’ve got a list of pretty standard tasks every time I host an event, so I’d like to automatically add them to my task list for each new event I add to my table. Below I have my template of tasks.

Image 2020-03-10 at 6.43.56 PM

Using the scripting block, I’m able to choose which event I want to apply this template to.

Screen Recording 2020-03-10 at 06.47 PM

Take a peek at the script below (which borrows heavily from the Record Template example), and example base here! Would love to know you how use this, and if it’s helpful.

// pick tables & views from your base here
let checklistTable = base.getTable("Planning Check List");
let templateView = checklistTable.getView("Template View");
let projectsTable = base.getTable("Projects");
let projectsWithNoChecklistView = projectsTable.getView("No Checklist");
// select an event to create a checklist for
let selectedEventRecord = await input.recordAsync(
    "Choose event to create checklist for",
    projectsWithNoChecklistView
);
if (selectedEventRecord) {
    // load in all of of the tasks that our in our template
    let templateQuery = await templateView.selectRecordsAsync();
    let templateRecords = templateQuery.records;
    // create new tasks based on the template
    let recordsToCreate = templateRecords.map((templateRecord) => ({
        fields: {
            Name: templateRecord.getCellValue("Name"),
            Project: [selectedEventRecord],
            "Days Out": templateRecord.getCellValue("Days Out"),
        },
    }));
    await checklistTable.createRecordsAsync(recordsToCreate);
} else {
    output.markdown("# Uh-Oh You didn't select an event!");
}
output.text("Done!");
15 Replies 15

This looks cool. I’m sure that many people will find it useful.

Oliver_Holtz
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Exactly what I was looking for!

Will_Dale
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Very useful, thanks. How would you change the script if the Days Out field in the Projects table is a single select field type? I still want all the same Days Out values that appear in the template, but they need to copy across to a single select field in the Projects table.

Rebecca_Meritz

@Will_Dale - I tested up converting the # of Days Field into a Single Select Field and the script still worked perfectly without modification.

If @VictoriaPlummer’s answer wasn’t clear enough, we might be able to provide more help if you explained your problem more clearly maybe with an example. What exactly are you trying to do differently than the original base?

Will_Dale

Thanks @Rebecca_Meritz, I actually tried to modify the script to pull data from a separate “templates” table. I think the solution where the templates just sit in the same table is more efficient, so this script works perfectly. Thanks for responding!

Alter345
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks for this script !
Is there any way we can use this script as the following :

• Creating task according to multiple select task field (if field 1 selected, then create a task list, if field 2 selected, then create another template task …)
  • Can we use the script to work with script automation ?

thanks !!

CPC_Center

Thank you for this script! It’s very helpful.

Is there a way that to adapt this for multiple templates for different types of projects (e.g., “webinar briefing” or “op-ed”). I like that the script prompts us to select a project, but I’m not sure how to prompt it to ask which template to use.

@Alter345 and @CPC_Center - both great questions and this is totally doable. I updated the script in the example base so that you can choose between the Webinar or Party Template

Cool I ll check thanks

Cody_Vaught
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Any way to have multiple Templates ran when there are multiple templates linked to the parent record?

Sure - I think it would just require an extra arr.map on the TemplateTypes variable.

egordin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

This is fascinating - thank you @VictoriaPlummer!

Technically, could this approach be taken to run the script with an automation? I would want the inputs to your script to be fields in a given record. My goal is to recreate project pipelines similar to the ones in Daylite:
Screenshot on 2021-04-28 at 21-00-18

If I set the project stage to Delegation for example, Airtable would duplicate the tasks with the project field set to “Delegation - Template”. Am I understanding this correctly? This would be MUCH better than putting all of the required new task records individually as actions in the automation (and then having to edit them/augment them later.

@VictoriaPlummer Sorry I meant is what I’m proposing above possible, and if so, how do you recommend doing that?

@VictoriaPlummer can you please let me know how I could run this script with automation rather than a block?