Help

Airtable Cobuilder is here! Learn more about our new no-code app creation feature, powered by AI on the Airtable Academy

Full documentation for JS SDK?

1767 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janssen
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I've been playing around with both the SDK and just using fetch() requests, the latter mainly because I can't find thorough documentation for the former. The SDK docs don't say much of anything and the generated API docs just give me clues. What's the deal?

5 Replies 5
tony23
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, 
 I have write this, you can read this. 

I understand your frustration with the lack of thorough documentation for the SDK and the generated API docs. In software development, comprehensive and clear documentation is crucial for developers to understand and use the SDK effectively.

The lack of documentation for an SDK or API can have several reasons:

Versioning: Sometimes, SDKs and APIs are still in development or have undergone changes, making it challenging to maintain up-to-date and detailed documentation.

Prioritization: In some cases, the focus may have been on the development of the SDK itself, with documentation considered a lower priority. As a result, the documentation may not be as comprehensive as desired.

Community Support: Some SDKs and APIs rely on the community to contribute to documentation and share knowledge. If the community around the SDK is small or less active, the documentation may suffer.

Transition to New Technologies: The lack of documentation could also be due to a shift towards newer technologies or approaches, leaving the previous SDK with less attention and support.

If you find yourself working with an SDK or API without adequate documentation,  there are some steps you can take: 

Explore Examples and Tutorials: Look for examples or tutorials created by other developers who have used the SDK or API. These can often provide valuable insights into how to use the tools effectively.

Join Developer Forums or Communities: Engaging with other developers who are using the same SDK or API can be helpful. Participate in developer forums, online communities, or social media groups to ask questions and share knowledge.

Reach Out to the Developers: If the SDK is from a specific company or organization, consider reaching out to their support or developer relations team to inquire about documentation or request assistance.

Contribute to Documentation: If you become more familiar with the SDK or API, consider contributing to the documentation yourself. Many open-source projects welcome contributions from the community.

Consider Alternatives: If the lack of documentation is severely impacting your progress, consider exploring alternative SDKs or APIs that offer better documentation and support.
In conclusion, the absence of comprehensive documentation can be challenging, but there are various steps you can take to overcome this hurdle. Engaging with the developer community and sharing knowledge can help fill in the gaps and enhance the overall understanding and usability of the SDK or API

Georgesheppard
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Janssen wrote:

I've been playing around with both the SDK and just using fetch() requests, the latter mainly because I can't find thorough documentation for the former. The SDK docs don't say much of anything and the generated API docs just give me clues. What's the deal?

Hello,

The lack of comprehensive documentation for the Airtable JavaScript SDK led many developers to explore other options, such as using fetch() requests directly or relying on community-driven documentation, examples, and tutorials.

The official Airtable API documentation itself can sometimes be a bit challenging to navigate, and it might not cover every specific use case or scenario in great detail.

Given the limitations in the official documentation, developers often had to rely on experimentation, trial and error, and community resources to gain a better understanding of the SDK and its capabilities.

As for the current status of the documentation, it's recommended to check the official Airtable website or the Airtable GitHub repository for any updates or improvements made to the documentation since my last update.

In cases where the official documentation is insufficient, exploring community-driven resources, forums, and examples can often provide valuable insights and solutions to specific implementation challenges with the Airtable JavaScript SDK.

Richardmizell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@Janssen wrote:

I've been playing around with both the SDK and just using fetch() requests, the latter mainly because I can't find thorough documentation for the former. The SDK docs don't say much of anything and the generated API docs just give me clues. What's the deal?  MyAccountAccess

The lack of comprehensive documentation for the JS SDK has been a challenge, forcing users to resort to fetch() requests. The SDK docs are sparse, and generated API docs only provide vague clues. A comprehensive, user friendly documentation for the JS SDK is needed to improve developer experience and encourage its adoption. 

donkyhotes
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@JanssenCar Games wrote:

"Thanks, great blog!" it's pretty good, I want more people to know about it -

dgme
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

It sounds like you're facing some challenges with accessing thorough documentation for the SDK you're using. Here are a few steps you can take to try to address this issue:

1. Contact the SDK Provider: Reach out to the provider or maintainer of the SDK directly. They may be able to provide more detailed documentation, clarify any ambiguities, or offer additional resources to help you understand and use the SDK effectively.

2. Look for Community Resources: Sometimes, other developers who have used the same SDK may have created their own documentation, tutorials, or forum posts to share their experiences and insights. Search online for community resources related to the SDK, such as user forums, developer blogs, or GitHub repositories.

3. Experiment and Learn by Doing: If you're comfortable with experimentation, you can learn a lot by experimenting with the SDK yourself. Use trial and error to explore the SDK's capabilities, test different methods and parameters, and observe how they affect your application. This hands-on approach can help you gain a deeper understanding of the SDK's functionality.

4. Consider Alternative SDKs: If you're unable to find satisfactory documentation or support for the current SDK you're using, you may want to explore alternative SDKs that offer better documentation and support. Look for SDKs that have comprehensive documentation, active community support, and regular updates to ensure a smooth development experience.

By following these steps and leveraging available resources, you can hopefully overcome the challenges you're facing with accessing thorough documentation for the SDK and make progress with your development tasks. dgme