Help

Re: How to search for specific value through API filterByFormula?

11944 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robert_Andrews1
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

My “Published URL” column contains URLs of web pages.

Through API, I would like to be able to pull only the record containing a URL I supply in the call.

I am already successfully making a curl call with this…

$base = 'appPtTr2kigmLlCP8';
  $table = 'Content';
  $view = urlencode('Published (Robert)');

// $fields = urlencode('Published URL'); // Only return these fields, cf. https://community.airtable.com/t/using-fields-filter-in-list-of-records/940
  if (!empty($offset)) {
    $q_offset = '&offset='.$offset;
  }
  $airtable_url = 'https://api.airtable.com/v0/' . $base . '/' . $table;

// construct the url query
  $url = 'https://api.airtable.com/v0/' . $base . '/' . $table . '?maxRecords=5&pagesize=1000&view='.$view . $q_offset;

But how can I make use of the relevant feature (is it filterByFormula?) to add

Elsewhere on the forum, I have seen reference like…

filterByFormula=SEARCH(‘riva’%2C+%7BLast+Name%7D)

But I have not crystallised how I would perform a query for the record with a specific “Published URL” value.

How do I do this, and what do I need to know about encoding a URL and the whole query parameter pair?

Thanks.

18 Replies 18
Giovanni_Briggs
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

filterByFormula allows you to apply an Airtable formula to limit the records that are returned. If I understand your question correctly, rather than trying to fetch a record by its Airtable record ID, you want to fetch it based on a different field value.

You can do this by doing filterByFormula={Field Name}="value". When your field names have a space in them, you have to wrap the name in curly brackets (you can also do this for field names that don’t have a space character, but it is not required). You should be aware that making a GET call with filterByFormula will always return a list of records, even if that list only has one value in it.

You can use this Airtable API Encoder to check how you should encode your data.

Momen_Zakaria
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

But how can I use filterByFormula to search for a specific containing string, i.e: If I’m searching for a book name like “UX design” and the search term was just ‘ux’ how to do this?

Mark_Friedman1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Reading the documentation at support.airtable.com/hc/en-us/articles/203255215-Formula-Field-Reference, your formula would look something like:

SEARCH("ux",{Field Name})

Using the Airtable API Encoder (at codepen.io/airtable/pen/rLKkYB) suggested above, the corresponding URL would look something like:

https://api.airtable.com/v0/YOUR_BASE_ID/Table%201?fields%5B%5D=Notes&filterByFormula=SEARCH(%22ux%22%2C+Notes)&api_key=YOUR_API_KEY

Hope this helps.

-Mark

Felix_K
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is it possible to somehow replace the Field Name {Field Name} part of the URL string by the AirTable Field ID fldnXGeRDd2r9SeRb?
I want to avoid that the code breaks in case the column is renamed.

You can find out the Field ID by opening Chrome or Firefox Code Inspector and searching for the column header’s parent div which looks like:
<div class="cell header primary read" data-columnid="fldnXGeRDd2r9SeRb" ...>

Thanks for your feedback!

Felix

The above Formula is not working for the below format
“loanFk”: [
“recazeHVfHg52dTFn”
],

How can I compose a filterByFormula string to get only records from a set of record IDs? I tried filterByFormula=“OR(RECORD_ID() = ‘recRjdJSziwMjfhO8’, RECORD_ID() = ‘recdRonUzKAIMPOxb’)”, but id doesn’t work. Thank you in advance,

The string filterByFormula=“OR(RECORD_ID() = ‘recRjdJSziwMjfhO8’, RECORD_ID() = ‘recdRonUzKAIMPOxb’)” works. Sorry. My bad. I had another issue.

Hey @Momen_Zakaria Were you able to get it working?

dilipborad
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

Based on new available functions of Regular Expressions.

Now you can use things like this.

კაი კაცი ხარ ბრააააატ

What would be the syntax for something like this:
filterByFormula={Field Name}=ANY["value1", "value2", "value2", "value2"]

Hi @dilipborad
I an new to Airtable and have a similar requirement. I have a simple database with keywords. I’m looking for a get API that will search input string in the database and if available, output the same.
It looks like Regex can resolve this. What would the syntax look like?

thanks!

@Prashanth_Kumar,
If we have a list of a keyword like

1. Tiger
  2. Lion
  3. Elephant
  4. Jackel

Now if you use.

REGEX_MATCH({Keywords}, ‘Tiger’)

OR

REGEX_MATCH({Keywords}, ‘Lio’);

Thank you - I was looking for the JS Script API, which I was able to figure using the attached link

L_X
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a lookup field that contains comma separated values, like so: pg, cc, pg

How might I structure my formula to say, “If my field contains ‘cc’”…?

I figured it out. The lookup field was pulling from a single line text field. Once I changed it to a single select field, I was able to use a FIND formula:

FIND("cc",{Learning Center ID})>0
Jhon_Albert
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

When using filterByFormula , the new filter will be applied on top of the existing View filters to further filter the results down. It will not replace filters already on your View.

Did you manage to filter by a field id rather than the name? I could not get it working, and its driving me crazy.