Help

Re: Looking for design review of app architecture from a senior engineer at Airtable....

1774 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoJo
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'm working on an extension that will use iframes to load parts of the app. While iframes aren't forbidden by the extension guidelines, I'd like to get confirmation from a senior Airtable engineer before starting to work on this architecture -- it's going to be a considerable time and effort to build! I have a design doc I can share to give a full sense of how it will work. 

Does anyone know how I can reach someone at Airtable to review my design? 

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

I don’t believe that Airtable engineers review design docs of third party extension developers. 

Are you looking to see if it is possible to use iframes at all, or are you looking to see what the limitations are for iframes? Also, are you hoping to get the extension published in the marketplace, or are you creating the extension for personal / internal use? The security review for a marketplace extension is quite extensive. If you need to show any arbitrary webpage in an iFrame, you may have trouble getting it past the security review. If you fully control and sanitize anything shown in the iFrame, you might be okay. 

JoJo

I'm hoping to put into the marketplace. The iframe will not display an arbitrary page -- only the UI components from the Blocks UI framework. The reason I want to deploy part of the UI in an iframe is to be able to iterate on it quickly. So I can keep publishing my changes to the iframed app without going through the app review process, which can be time consuming.

02.components.png

This is a diagram of the components in the app. My question is whether using proxy objects to communicate with the Blocks SDK from inside the iframe will be acceptable to the AirTable team.

So you want to use the iFrame to be able to iterate on the main content of the extension after it has been published? I you are probably better off asking Airtable support directly, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there are security issues that make this design impractical.