Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Possible to see which view in form question in scripting for automation?

Topic Labels: Scripting extentions
344 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi there -

Is it possible to determine which view in a form is being used to help determine what happens in an automation? For instance, my form is choosing items from a drop down list that is pre-sorted in a view. I want to run an automation based on that pre-sort. Is that possible?

5 Replies 5

More clarity is required to answer this.

Are you saying you want to simply detect the view dependency based on the existence of a field with a presorted option list? Or, are you saying you also need to know the elements of the list itself?

If the former, you could set a hidden field to identity the form’s view; in the later case (which I think you are intimating), you need to enumerate the presorted view items in the action script as some sort of post-submission process to enhance the data submitted?

Hi Bill - I am wondering if there is a way, when submitting a form, to have the submission include either the title of the form, and/or the sort when it says ‘Limit record selection to a view’

@Bill.French - Any suggestions?

Every form should ideally have an indicator of form source if – and only if – there is more than one form. This is almost always the case and Airtable designers should have considered this, but apparently, it’s not possible unless you use a different forms system.

Unfortunately, there’s not even a way to know which view a form entry might have been related to. The only workaround for this is to extrapolate the likely source of entries. For example, a post-processing script that examines the data and concludes it’s origin. If the form were restricted to records in a specific view, one could imaging a process that confirms the selection was only possible by virtue of the view state. But even this would not be reliable - I can imaging many cases that would pull the rug out from this approach.

Thanks. Would suggest this as a feature.