Help

[SOLVED] Airtable API returns "[404] Not Found" (Make.com)

Topic Labels: API
4286 7
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
globers
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi guys,

I have been trying to create a simple Make.com scenario to test the waters, where an Airtable record is created from a pre-specified Etsy receipt. The first step works great, all records are pulled from Etsy's API, but when we get to Airtable, I'm getting a repeated [404] Not Found error.

airtable404.jpg

According to Airtable developer @EvanHahn's answer here, Airtable only returns 404s in two cases. I quote:

1. the resource you’re fetching is missing. For example, if we can’t find the table, or the base, or the record, or whatever.
  2. the URL you’re hitting is totally bogus. For example, a request to api.airtable.com/v0/garbage will return a 404.

It seems that it's getting the base, the table, and the record just right, so I assume the URL it's hitting must be correct.

The error persists regardless of smart link or column ID use.

Make.com gets its access via a personal access token:

pat.jpg

The connection screen looks like this:

conn.jpg

You will see that Etsy has 4 acquired permissions whereas Airtable has none specified. This might be related.

Note: due to that not being part of the Make.com manual I was following, I did not register an integration under OAuth integrations in Airtable's developer hub. Could this be why?

This feels to me like a newbie mistake on my part, and I'd love to read your solutions here.

7 Replies 7
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

There are more Make experts hanging out at TableForums than here, so that’s always a good place to post your future Make questions.

In the meantime, how did you configure that blue Airtable module that says “Create A Record”?

globers

Thanks, @ScottWorld. I'd assume that the problem lies in Airtable, since it's the one that returns the error. Make.com displays a perfect connection to it, as it shows my base, tables, and columns.

Here's the Airtable module configuration:

b-id.jpg

What do you think?

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Not sure.

What type of field is “ID” in Airtable? Is it a text field?

Also, do you have more than one personal access token in Airtable? You might be accessing the wrong one.

Also, I would make sure that the user you’re using for the personal access token has full permissions to create new records in that table, and that they have permissions to modify the fields in that table as well. You can check both the permissions and the field permissions in Airtable.

Maybe also try deleting that module in Make and recreating it again?

Also, maybe expand the Airtable personal access token’s permissions to have access to the entire workspace, just to make sure that you’re fully covered. 

globers

What type of field is “ID” in Airtable? Is it a text field?
Maybe also try deleting that module in Make and recreating it again?

Indeed, a single line text. I tried plenty of other Airtable modules on Make, using every possible configuration, and absolutely 100% of them resulted in a 404.

Also, do you have more than one personal access token in Airtable? You might be accessing the wrong one.

I made sure to use the correct token. I also reinstalled the connection, but the problem persists.

Also, maybe expand the Airtable personal access token’s permissions to have access to the entire workspace, just to make sure that you’re fully covered.

Done. Reinstalled the connection just in case. Same 404. 😕

I wonder how Airtable's API opens Make the gate to all bases, tables, columns, whatnot, and yet it stands in confusion whenever Make wants to use any of those...

That's really weird! You're trying to do the most basic thing too... just trying to create a record. Did you also check to make sure that the table permissions and field permissions are correct? You check those from within the Airtable base itself -- within the Airtable's table settings & field settings. If so, you may want to create a new personal access token to see if you can get it to work.

globers

Yup, I'm the workspace owner! that's what drove me crazy, especially since I did get stubborn 403 errors ("the API key or access token was passed correctly in the request, but you do not have permission to perform the action in the API request. Reach out to a base/workspace owner or creator to have your permission level increased") the first couple of times I tried to establish a connection.

I reached out to myself, but myself could not increase my own permissions beyond those of Owner. I guess they reserve the AlmightyAirtableGod user type only for enterprise users.

I managed to get a clean pass by modifying the personal access token's scopes, but under the surface (switches to David Attenborough's voice)... monsters were still lurking.

The good news is that this story has a happy ending. I just managed to get it all to work by performing a completely fresh connection, with a shiny, brand-new token. I followed exactly the same steps as I did before, in the exact same way, suggesting that I was a victim of several permission-related glitches before. I wonder if there's a support group for that.

Your hunch was absolutely in the right place, and I'd like to thank you again for the genuine care, dear Scott!

Ha, very funny!! Lol. And that's great that you were able to fix it by recreating from scratch!! Something strange was definitely going on there!! Glad I could help at least a little bit!!