Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Access a field in another table using a formula

6 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ian_collins
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have master blocks of code in my code table.

in another table - main table -I wish to get data from a field in the code table by specifying it’s rec ID. I will then combine this code with other data from the main table. 

I can do this with a linked table but it requires that the user must remember to select a record every time a new record is added in the main table and since there is no default for linked record, I cannot find a way of using linked records.

i was hoping to create a formula that did this get(field.codeTable(recID))

I could put the actual field data from the record in code table directly into a formula but then every time my code is updated rather than update the code table code I have to remember to do this elsewhere.

any help much appreciated, perhaps a script?

1 Reply 1
MxRowanP
1 - Visitor
1 - Visitor

Hi Ian,

What if you use your linked table method with automations? I've done this before in lieu of having a default linked record. With trigger of when a new record is created in the main table > update the triggering record (in the main table) > set linked field to [code record ID].

Depending on how complicated it is to determine which [code record ID] needs to be linked, you could link different records with conditional actions. Or you might be able to skip the linked record step entirely and just write a script block in the automation to pull the desired part of the code table into the main table record directly. I'm not sure exactly how your code table looks to say which would be easier.

I hope that helps!

Rowan