4029 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Elizabeth_Aucti
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I know I am late to the game here. I have been ignoring the updates until now. I currently have uploads and the links for the uploads through a formula - which allows me to create a download button.

I use these so in the public share link to my base - users can quickly select the download button instead of opening the record and downloading the actual file.

Elizabeth_Aucti_0-1676346277967.png

The airtable documentation says the url will stop working when in formulas. This sounds like my use case scenario. Does anyone know if this will this continue to work going forward?

Obviously I thought this was meant to stop working in November, so either they haven't got to my base yet or I am in the clear (because it still works)...

If this function will stop working - is there an alternative way to achieve what I am doing when the change happens?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Did you choose to temporarily opt out of expiring urls? If so, the opt out period only just ended, and it may take some time for the rollout of the changes and for the urls to actually expire, as well for cached versions of the attachments to expire.

You can host the images on a different service that is designed to be a CDN and then direct your button to those second images. However, you would then need a system to maintain images in both places and keep them in sync.

See Solution in Thread

8 Replies 8
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Did you choose to temporarily opt out of expiring urls? If so, the opt out period only just ended, and it may take some time for the rollout of the changes and for the urls to actually expire, as well for cached versions of the attachments to expire.

You can host the images on a different service that is designed to be a CDN and then direct your button to those second images. However, you would then need a system to maintain images in both places and keep them in sync.

Okay yes you are probably right re the opt out. Okay. Thats an idea, I might look at something that when a new upload is added to airtable, it uploads somewhere else and feeds a link back... Thanks for your help

Is there some tutorial for doing this? I'm going crazy tying to figure out a simple solution to this.  I have a lot of emails that pull images from Airtable before going out, and now they are all not working. Can you direct me to some tutorials or solutions? Thanks!

I now have an automation in make.com which uploads the image to Dropbox (as soon as it’s added to airtable) and then feeds a share link back to airtable - so I am able to fetch the image or attach it to emails etc. outside of airtable.

are you willing to show your automation in make.com so I can base mine on how it works?

Elizabeth_Aucti
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

See pictures - let me know if you have any questions - this is how I do it. I have a webhook which sends the record ID.

(I add a 'sleep' for a few seconds - just in case I have a big file - to give it enough time to upload before trying to fetch the share link.)

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 6.03.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 6.03.57 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 6.04.10 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 6.04.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 6.10.21 AM.png

paulo
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello. An alternative solution to this issue is dependent on using a third-party application that integrates with Airtable. miniExtensions provides an extension specifically designed for this scenario:

https://miniextensions.com/airtable-attachments-to-urls/.

This extension creates non-expiring URLs for your Airtable attachments.

i use this extension already for my other base... do you happen to know how to pass multiple images in one attachment field?