105 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MajorTom
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all, apologies if this question has been asked and answered already. [EDIT: attached a screenshot since the embedding images don't seem to work.]

I am creating a table of contacts for relationship management. For each person, I have the fields "Introduced by" (whoever introduced me to them) and "Introduced me to" (whoever they've suggested I talk to). I want these fields to mutually autopopulate. For example, if John Doe suggests I talk to Johnny Day and Jane Smith, and I've put Johnny and Jane in John's "Introduced me to" field, I want "John Doe" to automatically appear in their "Introduced by" fields, instead of having to do it manually:

Screenshot 2024-06-25 at 5.26.23 PM.png

Ideally, it should work the other way around as well. If I put "John Doe" in Jane and Johnny's "Introduced by" field, their names should automatically appear in John Doe's "Introduced me to" field. 

The logic is something like: 

if {introduced me to}(N) contains {contact name}(M), add {contact name}(N) to {introduced by}(M) 

and

if {introduced by}(N) contains {contact name}(M), add {contact name}(N) to {introduced me to}(M)

Is there a way to do this? Many thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Yeap, you'd need an automation to help with this and there are a few ways to do it:
1. Full script with something like @kuovonne's same table backlinks script: https://kuovonne.gumroad.com/l/joRkE
2. Automation + a bit of script where you use a "Repeating Group" action to go through each of the records in the linked field and update the linked records.  The script is used to get around the issue of attempting to updating a linked field with possible empty arrays
3. (Theoretically should work) Task table to trigger automations with conditional logic.  Idea is to use a repeating group to create one record per linked contact in this "Task" table.  Another automation would trigger from here that would update the linked records, and we'd use conditional logic to get around the issue of updating a linked field with possible empty arrays.  (We can't use "Repeating Group" and "Conditional Logic" in the same automation

Hopefully someone else has a simpler solution!