cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Praise_Hall
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello!

I am building out a new base for my department which runs a variety of Programs throughout the year. Thus far I have set up some dummy data (i.e the “steps” you see in the screenshot) to successfully link my tasks to projects. There is a flow to how we approach the different programs we offer in terms of our when open applications, when we contract instructors for a workshop and so on and so forth. I have it set up so that every time I create a new project - based on the project I select, the are a number of tasks that will be automatically generated. I am now hoping to make it so that when a “Program Start Date” is entered, the “Task Due Date” will auto populate a deadline for each task based on a formula that aligns with our overall event timelines. Based on some previous community posts and through general research I see that the SWITCH formula might be the right way to go. However, after trying to create and implement what I thought was a proper formula - there are no tasks deadlines generated in “Task Due Date” - Although my formula was seemingly correct (there is no ERROR / NaN or anything to indicate where the issue may lie). I pasted below the formula I am using below that is currently being unsuccessfully used in “Task Due Date.”

Please help! It would be amazing to autogenerate deadlines for each program type - it would save a lot time too.

Thanks so much in advance,
Praise

Here is the formula I am using:

SWITCH({Name (tasks)},‘step 4’,DATEADD({Program Start Date},‘-30’,‘days’)

)

Screenshot (1)
Screenshot (2)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ah - the search for your task name is also case-sensitive.

You have "Step 4" entered into the field {Name (tasks)}, but are searching for "step 4" to trigger the formula.

SWITCH(
  {Name (tasks)},
  'Step 4', DATEADD({Program Start Date}, -30, 'days')
)

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

Hi @Praise_Hall,

I think the error might just be that you are providing a “string” for the number of days, rather than an “integer”. Instead of surrounding the number of days in quotes ('-30'), just provide the integer (-30).

Here’s your full formula with that implemented:

SWITCH(
  {Name (tasks)},
  'step 4', DATEADD({Program Start Date}, -30, 'days')
)

Try that and see if it works.

Hi @Jeremy_Oglesby

I just tried that and unfortunately no dates show up still in the “Task Due Date.” Would I be better off using IF instead?

Thanks for the help!

Ah - the search for your task name is also case-sensitive.

You have "Step 4" entered into the field {Name (tasks)}, but are searching for "step 4" to trigger the formula.

SWITCH(
  {Name (tasks)},
  'Step 4', DATEADD({Program Start Date}, -30, 'days')
)

It worked!!!

Thanks a ton.