cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith_Aguila
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Greetings,
I’m trying to do a simple multiplication formula. I want to multiply two columns. (Pic 1 of 3)
1 of 3

I am using the formula as described in the directions, Price * Quantity. (See Pic 2 of 3)
2 of 3

I only get an error message! (See Pic 3 of 3)
3 of 3

I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

From your screenshot, {Field 8} appears to be holding a string(basic text) value, rather than a numeric value. I can tell because the characters are left-aligned in the field. Airtable left-aligns strings(basic text), and right-aligns numbers. So, while the characters shown are numbers, the value is being held in a “string” as the system is interpreting it behind the scenes.

So, you can either address this in the {Field 8} formula, by having it output a numeric value (I’d have to see the formula in {Field 8} to know how to help you with fixing that)…
OR
you can address this in the {Annual Cost} formula by wrapping the reference to {Field 8} in a VALUE() function, like so:

VALUE({Field 8}) * {Payment Amount}

CleanShot 2020-06-05 at 17.03.29

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Jeremy_Oglesby
14 - Jupiter
14 - Jupiter

From your screenshot, {Field 8} appears to be holding a string(basic text) value, rather than a numeric value. I can tell because the characters are left-aligned in the field. Airtable left-aligns strings(basic text), and right-aligns numbers. So, while the characters shown are numbers, the value is being held in a “string” as the system is interpreting it behind the scenes.

So, you can either address this in the {Field 8} formula, by having it output a numeric value (I’d have to see the formula in {Field 8} to know how to help you with fixing that)…
OR
you can address this in the {Annual Cost} formula by wrapping the reference to {Field 8} in a VALUE() function, like so:

VALUE({Field 8}) * {Payment Amount}

CleanShot 2020-06-05 at 17.03.29

You are a genius! Thank you, that fixed the problem.