Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

Can't Figure out my Multiplication Error

Topic Labels: Formulas
Solved
Jump to Solution
763 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Greetings,
I’m trying to do a simple multiplication formula. I want to multiply two columns. (Pic 1 of 3)
1 of 3

I am using the formula as described in the directions, Price * Quantity. (See Pic 2 of 3)
2 of 3

I only get an error message! (See Pic 3 of 3)
3 of 3

I can’t figure out what I am doing wrong.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

From your screenshot, {Field 8} appears to be holding a string(basic text) value, rather than a numeric value. I can tell because the characters are left-aligned in the field. Airtable left-aligns strings(basic text), and right-aligns numbers. So, while the characters shown are numbers, the value is being held in a “string” as the system is interpreting it behind the scenes.

So, you can either address this in the {Field 8} formula, by having it output a numeric value (I’d have to see the formula in {Field 8} to know how to help you with fixing that)…
OR
you can address this in the {Annual Cost} formula by wrapping the reference to {Field 8} in a VALUE() function, like so:

VALUE({Field 8}) * {Payment Amount}

CleanShot 2020-06-05 at 17.03.29

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2

From your screenshot, {Field 8} appears to be holding a string(basic text) value, rather than a numeric value. I can tell because the characters are left-aligned in the field. Airtable left-aligns strings(basic text), and right-aligns numbers. So, while the characters shown are numbers, the value is being held in a “string” as the system is interpreting it behind the scenes.

So, you can either address this in the {Field 8} formula, by having it output a numeric value (I’d have to see the formula in {Field 8} to know how to help you with fixing that)…
OR
you can address this in the {Annual Cost} formula by wrapping the reference to {Field 8} in a VALUE() function, like so:

VALUE({Field 8}) * {Payment Amount}

CleanShot 2020-06-05 at 17.03.29

You are a genius! Thank you, that fixed the problem.