cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dimi_Timeline
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello, dear Airtable community.

I want to generate a unique payment ID, based on the sum, date, cashier, and the type of transaction.

Everything has been good by far, until I decided that I want to try using emojis. So, I assumed it should be a mix of CONCATENATE and IF, because I want the emoji to appear only in one field = meaning that IF it says ‘cash’ then show ‘ :money_with_wings: ’, IF it says ‘card’ then show ‘ :credit_card: ’

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Absolutely, it can be in the same formula. Just concatenate it. I prefer to use the & operator to join things together because I find it easier to read than the CONCATENATE function. You can even use multiple lines.

All three of the following will produce the same result:

CONCATENATE(FIRST_FORMULA_OR_FIELD, SECOND_FORMULA_OR_FIELD, THIRD_FORMULA_OR_FIELD)
FIRST_FORMULA_OR_FIELD & SECOND_FORMULA_OR_FIELD & THIRD_FORMULA_OR_FIELD
FIRST_FORMULA_OR_FIELD
&
SECOND_FORMULA_OR_FIELD
&
THIRD_FORMULA_OR_FIELD

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5

Can you post your current formula?
Are you using the CONCATENATE formula or the & operator?

Here is the IF statement:

IF({Payment Type} = "Cash",
  "💸",
  IF({Payment Type} = "Card",
    "💳"
  )
)

Thanks for your reply and the IF statement!

I’m using a CONCATENATE function.
A separate IF function works well to produce a separate field translating words to emojis, as shown on the screenshot. But is there a way I can include the IF statement to the main concatenate field, so that a helper field is not necessary?

Absolutely, it can be in the same formula. Just concatenate it. I prefer to use the & operator to join things together because I find it easier to read than the CONCATENATE function. You can even use multiple lines.

All three of the following will produce the same result:

CONCATENATE(FIRST_FORMULA_OR_FIELD, SECOND_FORMULA_OR_FIELD, THIRD_FORMULA_OR_FIELD)
FIRST_FORMULA_OR_FIELD & SECOND_FORMULA_OR_FIELD & THIRD_FORMULA_OR_FIELD
FIRST_FORMULA_OR_FIELD
&
SECOND_FORMULA_OR_FIELD
&
THIRD_FORMULA_OR_FIELD

Thanks, that worked! The & operator is indeed more friendly.

My current forfmula looks as follows:

{date field} & IF({Type} = “Cash”,“ :money_with_wings: ”,IF({Type} = “Card”,“ :credit_card: ”)) &{Cashier} & {amount}

I know, that is a whole different question, but can I add the “+” sign to differentiate between negative and positive values in the Primary field? Below is the screenshot where I want the values to be more aligned - with the minus sign in place for the expenses, I want to add the plus sign as well for better aesthetics so to speak :slightly_smiling_face:

:pray:

IF({amount} > 0, "+")