Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Concatenate records with a change in another field

Solved
Jump to Solution
2019 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mwolf222
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello:

New to Airtable and new to the forum here...

Looking for a solution to combine records in my field {Component], for every change in records in my fields {Location ID} and {Room}.  For example, in the attached image I would want to combine WF218, W361824, RF9624 3/4, W3330, and so on to B18, in a new field.  This is to correspond with {Location ID} 1-3-302 and with {Room} A Acc Kitchen.  For the next combined field, the result would be ADA SB30, for location 1-3-302 and room A Acc Bathroom.  I would like to accomplish with a formula, but I understand I may need to create a new linked table.  

I am attaching 2 views; one is grouped and one is a straight view, for clarity.  Thanks so much!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mwolf222

Adam, sorry for the delay.  I have been super busy!  Thanks so much for the offer of help I really appreciate that.  
What I ended up doing was concatenating the location code and the room name together, and then created another table to link the new field to.  Then, I was able to create a roll up field for the components.  It worked great, putting all of the components for the particular location and room combination into one cell.  
Then, I was able to create a gallery view, ideally to create labels, which will show the location and room, the drawing for the build-out, and the components all listed in the same label.  See screenshots.  Thanks again!!!

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5

Hm does this look right?

Screenshot 2024-05-29 at 1.35.21 PM.png

Component & " " &
{Location ID} & " " & 
Room

Link to base

mwolf222

Sorry, I was looking to combine Components all in one cell, as changes occur in Location and in Room.  I was advised to create a linked table, and then create a roll-up field based on a new field, which would combine both Location and Room.  But, I did not have any success with that, either.  Only one component shows up, not all of them.  Thanks for your response.  

mwolf222

https://airtable.com/app24R8HMNwTGZxg7/shrlgCRywtXaeQhQI 

Going to try to attach my Base this time.  

In the 'Data' table, I want to rollup all {Component}, for each change in the {Combine Location}, in the 'Loc2' table.  The issue I have is that it is not doing this automatically.  I have to add new records to {CombLoc} manually, to get the {Components Rollup} to complete itself.  I'm not sure why it does not automatically add records to the 'Loc2' table.  Any help is greatly appreciated!  Thank you.  

Ah, apologies, I'm not following what we're trying to do.  I had a look at the base but the field names you reference in your post can't be found in the table and so I'm kind of confused, sorry!

If you could create a new base where only the fields we need are in there and invite me to it as a creator that would be super helpful as that would allow me to see what the field types are, which would make it a lot easier to help you

It also feels like this might go a lot faster over a quick (free) call, and if that sounds alright to you here's my Calendly link for you to select a time that works for you: https://calendly.com/adamc_airtable/30min

mwolf222

Adam, sorry for the delay.  I have been super busy!  Thanks so much for the offer of help I really appreciate that.  
What I ended up doing was concatenating the location code and the room name together, and then created another table to link the new field to.  Then, I was able to create a roll up field for the components.  It worked great, putting all of the components for the particular location and room combination into one cell.  
Then, I was able to create a gallery view, ideally to create labels, which will show the location and room, the drawing for the build-out, and the components all listed in the same label.  See screenshots.  Thanks again!!!