Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Counting and Outputting Unique Values

Topic Labels: Data Formulas
760 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
conc
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I'm working with a relatively simple table with columns for room number, name, and dietary restrictions. Dietary restrictions will be a dropdown multi-select column.

RoomNameRestrictions
1JohnHalal, Diabetic
2SallyHalal
3JaneHalal, Diabetic
4Mike 
5KimHalal, Diabetic, No Pork

What I'm hoping to achieve is a count of the unique values, so in my example above:

Halal, Diabetic 2

Halal 1

Halal, Diabetic, No Pork 1

None 1

Can I do this?

5 Replies 5
Sistema_Aotearo
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Not sure if this will work, but you could try:

IF({Restrictions},LEN({Restrictions})-LEN(SUBSTITUTE({Sustainability ChecklistRestrictions},",",""))+1)

Justin Ng
Programme Coordinator at Sistema Aotearoa
https://www.sistemaaotearoa.org.nz/

Here are 2 different ways of doing this:

1. Group your current table by dietary type. Airtable will display the count above each group.

or

2. You can convert your multi-select field to a linked record field. That will move the dietary restrictions to their own table, and each dietary restriction will be linked to one or more people. In that new table, you can create a Count field (”count” is a special field type), which will count the number of people for each dietary restriction.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

conc

conc_0-1717787868520.png

I'd like to try both, but where should I be seeing the count above each group?

You'll have to group it first, and then a "summary bar" will appear above each group.

conc

Oops!

Thank you!

This is a very promising start.