cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CameronG
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi all,

Very new to Airtable, needing some help setting up a template.

I've attached a screenshot for reference.

I am wanting to use Airtable to keep an RFI (request for information) log which can be shared with my clients on a "base" by "base" basis. I will be the only Creator (for the foreseeable future) and will make my clients Editors so they can input their responses into fields left unlocked to Editors. The view layout will be the Grid view.

I plan on creating a base per project and inside the base having the 1st column as the RFI question for the client (as a multi-line text box), the second as a selection of either "Outstanding" or "Resolved" (per row / RFI). Both these 1st 2x columns will only be able to be edited by myself as the Creator. Each RFI will have its own row.

The 3rd column I will have as the Client's response, this will be a multi-line text field. The 4th column will be for the client to upload any attachments. The 5th column will be a "checkbox", for the Client to select once they have input their response into the row's field in column's 3 and 4. Columns 3-5 will be unlocked for Editors when created. The 6th and 7th columns will be "last modified time" and "last modified by" fields linked only to columns 3 and 4.

The idea is that the client will look at the list and type their responses into the fields in column 3. Then upload any document to help explain their response in column 4, then hit the checkbox in column 5. Note that they may only answer a single RFI, so in which case would only be making inputs to a single row in the list.

The bit that I am stuck on is this. I would like to have it so that once the Client has ticked the checkbox for a particular row (RFI) they have just answered. I would like Airtable to lock any further changes to the fields of that single row in columns 3-5. Basically having the checkbox as a submit button and not allowing them to make any further changes to their inputs for that row (RFI) unless I as the Creator unselect the checkbox for that row (in column 5). Obviously if I was to unselect it then I would want Airtable to again lock the fields as explained above if they were to select the checkbox again.

Hopefully that makes sense, thanks guys.

7 Replies 7

I don't think the functionality to lock field input based on other field data exists I'm afraid. 

To get a similar workflow, I'd get clients to click a button and fill out a form instead I think

In Table 1:
Each record would have a formula field to create a prefilled URL to a form linking to that record where records go to Table 2. I'd have lookup fields that'd display the requisite fields from Table 2, and I'd also have a button field that would check whether the checkbox you mentioned is empty, and if it is, to output the URL.  With this method, the clients would only be able to click on the button when the checkbox is empty; once it's checked the button would not be clickable anymore

(We could also make this button only clickable if the lookup fields were empty too)

This doesn't stop your clients from opening the link again from their browser history and resubmitting though

Hi there,

The concern I would have is if they can resubmit, how could I keep record of what was previously submitted? Just thinking I would not want the client to change things halfway through a project and not be able to go back to what it was previously for reference. 

Also, there may be quite a few RFI's on a project. Would the above solution be fast to create multiple RFIs and would I have to send each RFI's form individually?

Thanks 

> how could I keep record of what was previously submitted? 

Each form submission would result in a new record being submitted, so you would always have a record of what was previously submitted.  You'd also have a record of when it was submitted via the "Created Time" field type

---
> Also, there may be quite a few RFI's on a project. Would the above solution be fast to create multiple RFIs and would I have to send each RFI's form individually?

After you set up the formula field there's nothing much you need to do, really.  Your clients would have read-only access and would be able to click each record's prefilled URL via the button

Morning Cameron.

The other member is correct in that a single cell's permissions can't be changed, so perhaps approach it from what is visible to the client. For example: An interface that only presents RFI's that they have not answered by using a conditional filter. If you uncheck the box, it will reappear 🙂

CameronG

Thanks Guys for the help, I had a bit more of a play around with forms and can see how I could get it to work. A new record being created each time they submit a response definitely helps, I think I may add a "Superseded" option to the field that already has "Outstanding" and "Resolved" So I can filter / separate out old submitted responses.

I don't quite follow the formula field comment, if the Client has read only access how would they fill out the Form? Or are you referring to the fields other than the field(s) where they can input their response?

Is there a way to have the Grid View show the submitted form's heading and description in the 1st 2x columns? The 2x text areas at the very top of the Form, these don't appear to be like the other fields on the form. If I could do that then that'd be fantastic. Or if not is there a way to have the 1st 2x columns in the grid view be fields which pull this info from the Forms?

Thanks

> I don't quite follow the formula field comment, if the Client has read only access how would they fill out the Form? Or are you referring to the fields other than the field(s) where they can input their response?

Users who do not have edit access to base are still able to submit forms.  Check out the guide to form views here

----
> Is there a way to have the Grid View show the submitted form's heading and description in the 1st 2x columns

Are you referring to this?

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 1.23.59 PM.png
If so, no

---
> Or if not is there a way to have the 1st 2x columns in the grid view be fields which pull this info from the Forms?

Not really, no.  You could hack something together, but it'd be very hardcoded and any changes to the header or description of the forms, as well as the form URLs would require modifying formulas and such

CameronG

Ok thanks Adam