889 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gordon_Rothman
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I wrote a formula to add today’s date when a specific text appeared in another (single select) field. But it doesn’t hold that date; it changes each day. Is there a way to freeze that date to when the text first appeared?

Thanks in advance!

4 Replies 4
augmented
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Hi Gordon. You need an automation that triggers on the single select. The action will be to set that date field to the current date, which you can get by having a Last Modified field in the table. Make sense?

Thanks! I think I understand, but if the date needs to show when one particular option was chosen, it will change again if another option is later chosen, right?

FWIW, here’s what I wound up trying (it’s a little cumbersome, so maybe there’s a better way)

I set up a field that always shows today’s date

I set up a view filtered by the desired option in the single select field

I set up an automation triggered by a recording entering that view

The automation action updates that record by entering the date from the Today’s Date field into the destination date field. Whew.

Gotta be an easier way! Is there at least a way for the automation to enter today’s date without it being calculated in a field?

No, it won’t change unless someone selects something else in the SS field, and then re-selects the triggering item in the SS field.

You didn’t need to create a view, instead use the “When a record matches conditions” automation trigger. Yes, you always need a field that shows today’s date. Your method is a formula field whereas I suggested using a Last Modified field. Either way should work.

Do you not like how it’s working?

The way I described is working, but I value elegance and my way is clunky. I think your way looks better, and I’ll try it. Thanks!