Help

Field to summarise records with shared column value?

Topic Labels: Base design Formulas
Solved
Jump to Solution
617 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oreocereus
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

To group records for planning purposes, I use a unique code for each record, then a custom text field to assign one of those codes to records that need to be grouped. This is for planning vegetable plantings with multiple vegetables in a plot. 

Here's an example of how that works:

oreocereus_0-1698786402729.png

Where ID + Field Date is generated, and then I manually assign one of those codes to "planning ID" where those crops need to be considered as a group for certain planning activities. 

For planning purposes, I have a view that groups crop/records by planning ID. I also have one that sorts by crop in alphabetical order. 

However, I need a visualisation that does both - e.g. I need to be able to sort by crop AND visualise the other crops that are grouped by the same planning ID. I don't necessarily need an easy link to those other relevant records, but it'd help hugely with Day-to-Day if I can find "Bush Bean Xera - 300 Transplants" alphabetically, and easily see the names of the other records it relates to. 

Is there a way to do this simply?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevendasilva
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello there, 

If I'm understanding correctly, you could set up a separate table with the planning ID's.

You could then link the crops to a given planning ID. In the crop table, you would then be able to sort alphabetically, and if you opened up the record you could see which ID it is connected with. 

By pressing on that ID you can then see the associated crops for a given ID.

Here's a loom to explain further 
https://www.loom.com/share/15cf709355dc4f35b08a3017a04a8a32

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
stevendasilva
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello there, 

If I'm understanding correctly, you could set up a separate table with the planning ID's.

You could then link the crops to a given planning ID. In the crop table, you would then be able to sort alphabetically, and if you opened up the record you could see which ID it is connected with. 

By pressing on that ID you can then see the associated crops for a given ID.

Here's a loom to explain further 
https://www.loom.com/share/15cf709355dc4f35b08a3017a04a8a32

Thanks for the solution.

Regards
Jiya Wheeler

Thanks! That loom thing is neat and handy for this kind of stuff, cool tool!

Yeah, I considered a table for planning IDs - but I tied myself in knots as I wanted to be able to create the ID in the planning and records table (which you've called crops in your example). But I didn't realise you could do that with linked records - i.e. I can just type/copy & paste my planning ID in the linked record field and it creates a record in the planning ID table!

So, perfect - thanks!!