Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

FIND that searches multiple fields?

Topic Labels: Formulas
1217 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi everyone,

I’m using Airtable to help reformat some .csv attendance sheets that are a pain. There is only one export option that comes in as Person ID for the primary field, then each event comes in as a text field with an X to mark attendance.

ex_attendance

I’m going for a way to count total # of attended events in a month. I’ve been using the FIND function to find “X” and give me a total, but I haven’t figured out the correct way to FIND across multiple fields (ie - all January events, etc.). I’m new to formulas, so I’m not even sure I can.

This works fine for a single event, but I need to find a way to include multiple event fields.

FIND(“X”, {Jan 8, 2019 AM Meeting})

Thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

2 Replies 2

…and now I’ve figured out how to make nested FIND formulas within a SUM formula.

For the record, and in hopes it helps someone else, I did…

SUM(
(FIND(“X”, {Jan 8, 2019 AM Meeting})),
(FIND(“X”, {Jan 8, 2019 PM Meeting})),
(FIND(“X”, {Jan 15, 2019 AM Meeting})),
(FIND(“X”, {Jan 15, 2019 PM Meeting})))

Alternatively, as long as your meting fields are either 'X' or empty, you could use COUNTA():

COUNTA(A,B,C,D)

Or, in your case

COUNTA(
    {Jan 8, 2019 AM Meeting},
    {Jan 8, 2019 PM Meeting},
    {Jan 15, 2019 AM Meeting},
    {Jan 15, 2019 PM Meeting}
    )

This also avoids possible problems if someone enters ' X' (leading space) or 'x' (wrong case) — the former would result in an overcount, the latter in an undercount. :winking_face: