Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Formula Help for Invites

Topic Labels: Formulas
411 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alato014
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi! I created an Airtable to help plan my wedding. I have a table that's for Guests and in this table I have fields for their first and last name and their title (Mr., Mrs., etc.). I created a field that adds all of these fields to create their formal name on the invitation envelope. Right now the formula reads:

Title & " " & {First Name} & " " & {Last Name} & " " & "&" & " " & {Guest Name (from Relationship)} 

Here's where the problem comes in, for my single guests it puts the "&" after their name, for example, "Mr. John Smith &". How can I fix it so that it adds the "&" for the guests that live in the same household but doesn't add the "&" for the single guests? I was thinking an IF() statement but I'm not sure how to work it for that. I've also attached a picture of how it looks currently in my table. 

Any help would be so great!

1 Reply 1
Agnès_Kabambi
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi @alato014 ,

To solve your problem, try using a conditional 'IF()' statement. This will follow the same format you have currently but will first check if there is a guest name. If there is a guest name, the formula will concatenate the invitee's first name, last name, and guest name. If there is no guest name, it will only concatenate the invitee's first and last name. Here is a breakdown:

Formula:

IF(
{Guest Name (from Relationship)},
Title & " " & {First Name} & " " & {Last Name} & " & " & {Guest Name (from Relationship)},
Title & " " & {First Name} & " " & {Last Name}
)

Explanation: The formula format is: IF({Field Name}, value_if_true, value_if_false).

The way this works for your example is:

• If({Guest Name (from Relationship)}, ...) checks if the {Guest Name (from Relationship)} field contains any value.
  • If it does, the formula concatenates the title, first name, last name, "&", and the guest's name.
  • If it doesn't, it only concatenates the title, first name, and last name.

Hope that helps. Goodluck with the wedding planning, and congrats!