354 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Julie_Holmes
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello awesome airtable people … I am desperately in need of help after spending days going in circles.

Background:
I have a list of TASKS (podcast recording tasks in my case).
Some tasks have DEPENDENCIES - I can’t do task 2 until task 1 is complete
The list of TASKS is repeated for each podcast show.

In Airtable, I have a table for my podcast shows and a table for my tasks. I have almost everything working the way I would want if only I could I could figure out how to update the field: Dependency Done?

If I was to describe what I wanted, it would be a formula that says:
If there is a dependency task listed for this record and that task is done, mark this as TRUE, else FALSE.

I can get this work if there is only one episode by using a conditional lookup but as soon as I have multiple episodes, that doesn’t work.

I’ve stripped down my table to share in hopes someone has a great tip.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you’re my only hope!

https://airtable.com/shrjFGmhEbifXVBge

1 Reply 1
Raminder_Singh
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi @Julie_Holmes,

I do not have a fully working solution to your problem but I can give you an outline. I think there are two approaches for you to take.

The first is to change the structure of the Task List Template table such that each record transitively has all the dependent tasks. So in your stripped down table, instead of the Task 4 record only containing Task 3 in the Dependency column, it should contain both Task 3 and Task 1. Once you have that, you can figure out a formula I’m sure.

The second approach, if you do not want to change the structure, is to use the script block to essentially do something similar – transitively figure out all the dependencies of a task. So to find if Task 4 has Dependencies Done, check if Task 3 has Dependencies Done and then check the same for Task 1 and so on.

Hope this helps.

-Raminder