Help

Re: How to Format Currency Values in Airtable: Separating Look Up Field Values with Line Breaks

1573 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Parnsasi
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello everyone,

I'm having trouble formatting a lookup field in Airtable. Specifically, I have a "Price (Lookup)" field that I want to separate using line breaks instead of commas (in a new "Price 2" column), as I plan to use this column for a table in Page Designer. However, the currency format is being lost in the process.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can achieve this while maintaining the currency format?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Parnsasi_0-1683552358534.png

5 Replies 5

Hey @Parnsasi ,

The formula you used returns text and not numbers. So you can't apply formatting setting. 

What I would recommend to do is to add as extra text after the digits the currency like this: 

' &"$" ' so the result would look like:

2140$
500$

Hope this helps you 

Yours sincerely, 
Dimitris Goudis

Parnsasi

Hi Dimitris,

Thank you for your suggestion. However, adding the currency symbol after the digits won't work in this case because it adds the symbol to the end of the entire string, rather than each individual value. And I need  two decimal places to each value.

Parnsasi_0-1683555550519.png

Parn

Hey @Parnsasi

you can add formatting on lookup field. So you can format those numbers as currency and then perform the formula that separates values with a new line. 

Hope this works, if not please text us back 🙂  

Hi @Dimitris_Goudis 

Thanks for your quick response! 😊
I'm a someone who is new to using Airtable, I'm not quite sure if I am doing things correctly.
Specifically, I have been trying to use a formula to create line breaks in my data, but instead of getting the desired format of
I got

Parnsasi_0-1683558882524.png

I was wondering if you might be able to offer any guidance or advice on how to address this issue.
Thank you very much for your time and assistance. I appreciate  it!!

Parn

The currency formatting is always lost when you convert a currency field to text in a formula field or a rollup field. If your formula or rollup returns a single number, you can apply currency formatting to the formula result. However, to have multiple numbers in one cell, then numbers must be converted to text.

This is just one of the quirks of Airtable. 

One option is to convert the number to a text with formatting using a formula field in the original table. Then rollup the text version. However, the formula for making a "pretty" number can be complex. My extension Ready Made Formulas can create the formula for you if you have a premium license.