Help

Welcome to the Airtable Community! If you're new here, check out our Getting Started area to get the most out of your community experience.

How to skip rows if they have values

Topic Labels: Formulas
303 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey all completely new to Airtables, merely hours in! I was wondering how do I move on to the next cell if the current cell has a value? I’m trying to calculate deadlines given an estimated number of days a project will take from a production date, however occassionally I’ll have a predetermined deadline but no start date so want the value to remain and move onto the next row. My formula is:

IF({Build Start}, DATEADD({Build Start}, {Build Days}, ‘days’))

This works but if a value already exists it replaces it with a blank space? Ideally I’d just use an else and continue.

2 Replies 2

Welcome to the community, @Sav_Aylett! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: Airtable formulas always execute on all records, meaning that they always generate some output, even if that output is nothing (blank). They also can’t look at the output from a previous execution of the same formula and use that as input for the current execution (your “if a value already exists” idea). If part of a formula’s input changes—e.g. a value in a specific field used by the formula—the formula will re-run for that record.

One way to do what you’re seeking is to include a manual date field where you can input a deadline—I’ll call it the {Build End Manual} field—and then use the contents of that field in your formula logic. Maybe something like this:

IF(
  {Build Start},
  IF(
    {Build End Manual},
    {Build End Manual},
    DATEADD({Build Start}, {Build Days}, 'days'),
  ),
  IF(
    {Build End Manual},
    {Build End Manual}
  )
)

The logic is this: if there’s a specified start date, use that to calculate the end date, but only if there’s no manual end date entered; otherwise use the manual end date. If there’s no start date, use the manual end date if it exists.

Cheers Justin, I shall give it a go and get back to you. Again many thanks for the pointer.