cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
908_Interiors
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi there,

I have accomplished a few formulas through my airtable base but I have trouble with this one:
In a library, I want to return “not in stock” for items that are signed out and have not yet been returned.

In writing this would be:

If SignOutDate contains a value and ReturnDate contains no value, return “not in stock”, otherwise “available”

IF(
AND(
{SignOutDate}<>””,{ReturnDate}=BLANK()
),
”notinstock”,”available”
)

As I am new to the AND/IF business, I might have severe problems in here already? If not, could it be that the date fields are the problem, they are set as ISO?

Any help highly appreciated.

Best, Sisi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Airtable formula fields have their own grammar and vocabulary, different from other formula writing systems you may have used. For example <> is not a valid comparison operator in Airtable formulas.

There are also multiple methods of checking if a field has a value, but one of the easiest is to simply use the {field} itself as a test. If the field has a value, it will be “true”, with a few exceptions for number fields.

IF(
    AND(
        {SignOutDate},
        NOT({ReturnDate})
    ),
    "notinstock",
    "available"
)

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Airtable formula fields have their own grammar and vocabulary, different from other formula writing systems you may have used. For example <> is not a valid comparison operator in Airtable formulas.

There are also multiple methods of checking if a field has a value, but one of the easiest is to simply use the {field} itself as a test. If the field has a value, it will be “true”, with a few exceptions for number fields.

IF(
    AND(
        {SignOutDate},
        NOT({ReturnDate})
    ),
    "notinstock",
    "available"
)
908_Interiors

Thank you so much, kuovonne.
This worked perfectly and ended my two days of head-scratching.

It´s the first time I ever posted anything in a forum in my life - how lovely, it what such a success.
You just made my day. Thanks so much!