Help

Re: Is it possible to define a single select field's value through a formula?

Solved
Jump to Solution
1994 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mario
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Currently, formula fields support numeric, date and text output only. Are there any plans to extend formula field to work with other types of output (such as the single select field)?

A bit of context: I have 3 single select fields (let’s call them A, B, and C) which represent the status of a task. Statuses may have one of the following options: Todo, Doing, Paused, and Done. For example, given some task, it could have the A field as Doing, B as Paused, and C as Todo.

With that in mind, I’d like to have a field D that automatically selects its value based on fields A, B, and C. Let’s say D is a formula field that does some least common denominator logic to figure its value out. The problem I’m facing is that the output type of D is text, and I’d like it to be a single select field’s value type.

Also, is there a dedicated place to ask Airtable for feature implementations?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community!

You are correct that formula fields can only output numeric, date, and text output. However, you can set the formula to output whatever text you want. So, you can create a formula to set {field D} to output the text Todo, Doing, Paused, or Done to match the single select fields. The formula field will not have the appearance or color of a single select field.

As for asking for Airtable for feature implementations, you can check out the Product Suggestions part of this community.

See Solution in Thread

1 Reply 1
kuovonne
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Welcome to the community!

You are correct that formula fields can only output numeric, date, and text output. However, you can set the formula to output whatever text you want. So, you can create a formula to set {field D} to output the text Todo, Doing, Paused, or Done to match the single select fields. The formula field will not have the appearance or color of a single select field.

As for asking for Airtable for feature implementations, you can check out the Product Suggestions part of this community.