Help

Re: Looking for a formula for when a field is left blank it will be filled with info from previous line

485 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bryan_Terrell
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Looking for a formula where if a field is left blank it will automatically be filled in with the same info from the previous field.
For example:
I have a field for dates. Fill in date on line #1. Move to next line (line #2) and leave blank. Move to next line (line #3) and line #2 automatically gets filled in with the date from line #1.
Any suggestions?

3 Replies 3

Welcome to the community, @Bryan_Terrell!

This is not a supported feature in Airtable.

However, there is a little trick to making this work — albeit in a slightly different way than what you are looking for.

The trick to doing this in Airtable is to group your records by your “Date” field.

Any new records that you add into that group will automatically receive the same date. Airtable will fill in the date FIRST, and you will have to override it if you want it to be something different. (In which case, it will move the record into a different group.)

Hope this helps! If this answers your question, could you please mark this comment as the solution to your question? This will help other people who have a similar question. If not, please let me know what else you need help with! :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for your answer! I’m not sure this is a solution, but I appreciate the override suggestion.

There is no other way to do it automatically in Airtable.

If you want a blank field in a record to automatically fill in at a later time than the exact moment while you’re actually doing the data entry on that record, you would need to automate the process with an external website like Integromat or Zapier. That could work out very nicely for you.

You could also use the scripting block to write your own custom Javascript script to fill in blank fields with dates, but you would need to manually run the script (so it won’t be an automated process).