611 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daquanlove300
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have fields for "First Name" and "Preferred Name." I want the "Preferred Name" field to default to the value in "First Name," but still be editable if a different preferred name is desired. I also want to implement a similar approach for the mailing address, where the "Mailing Address" field defaults to the value in the "Physical Address" field but allows for easy editing when needed.

Any ideas on how to achieve this without duplicating fields? I appreciate your input and suggestions!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
pressGO_design
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

For both of these, you’re going to want a simple IF formula for the output that will change based on edits in the fields referenced in the formula.

IF({First Name}, {First Name}, {Preferred Name}) allows you to change the First Name or add a Preferred Name. If you enter someone as Thomas Smith and then discover 3 weeks later that they prefer Tom, you enter Tom in the Preferred Name field and the formula field will update automatically.

The Mailing Address field works similarly with, for example,

IF({Physical Address}, {Physical Address}, “No Mailing Address”)

Returning to Thomas Smith, if you enter his record without an address, it will show “No Mailing Address.” If you add an address later, the Mailing Address field will show that address.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
pressGO_design
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

For both of these, you’re going to want a simple IF formula for the output that will change based on edits in the fields referenced in the formula.

IF({First Name}, {First Name}, {Preferred Name}) allows you to change the First Name or add a Preferred Name. If you enter someone as Thomas Smith and then discover 3 weeks later that they prefer Tom, you enter Tom in the Preferred Name field and the formula field will update automatically.

The Mailing Address field works similarly with, for example,

IF({Physical Address}, {Physical Address}, “No Mailing Address”)

Returning to Thomas Smith, if you enter his record without an address, it will show “No Mailing Address.” If you add an address later, the Mailing Address field will show that address.

Thank you so much! This worked for me as the inverse: ({Preferred Name}, {Preferred Name}, {First Name},)